Synchrotron Radiation Units: Photons/s/mrad^2/1%BW

V / 10^9 photons/s = 3 * 10^-7 eV/sIn summary, the conversation discusses the common unit for measuring the intensity of a synchrotron X-Ray spectrum, which is expressed as photons per second per milliradian squared per 0.1% bandwidth. One person asks for clarification on the meaning of 0.1% bandwidth, while another person shares a link citing the maximum brightness produced by second-generation synchrotrons. They also provide an example of calculating the bandwidth for a given flux and energy.
rockingroli
Hi

I have a question about the common unit for the intensity of a synchrotron X-Ray spectrum:

[tex]\frac{Photons}{sec*mrad^{2}*0.1\%BW}[/tex]

I am not sure how to interpretate the 0.1%BW.

How do I get the numbers of Photons/sec/mrad2 in an Energy range lets
say from energy [tex]E_1[/tex] to energy [tex]E_2[/tex] ?

I really need to know this !

Thank you for any help

Roland

Science news on Phys.org
I believe 0.1%BW indicates bandwidth, which seems to be verified by

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/rd/444/jordansweet.html - see end of paragraph 3

Second-generation synchrotrons have been upgraded with insertion devices where possible, and are testing grounds for new designs. Currently, second-generation rings produce a maximum brightness of ~1014 photons/s/0.1%bw/mm2/mrad2. (Brightness is a combination of flux, source size, and beam divergence. It is given in units of number of photons per second in a certain energy bandwidth, divided by source area and by the solid angle of the radiation cone.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's consider this example: I've got the flux from undulator at some point, say 10^9 photons/s at 3 keV. What is 0.1%bw in this case?

I've got the answer:
0.1%bw = 0.001

Related to Synchrotron Radiation Units: Photons/s/mrad^2/1%BW

What is synchrotron radiation?

Synchrotron radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is produced by accelerating charged particles, typically electrons, through a magnetic field. It is a highly intense and focused form of radiation that is used in various scientific research applications.

What units are used to measure synchrotron radiation?

The units used to measure synchrotron radiation are photons per second, per milliradian squared, per 1% bandwidth (photons/s/mrad^2/1%BW). This unit takes into account the number of photons produced per second, the spread of the radiation, and the range of frequencies included.

What does the "1%BW" in the unit stand for?

The "1%BW" in the unit stands for 1% bandwidth. This refers to the range of frequencies included in the measurement of synchrotron radiation. It is important to specify the bandwidth because synchrotron radiation can cover a wide range of frequencies.

Why is measuring synchrotron radiation important?

Measuring synchrotron radiation is important for a variety of reasons. It allows scientists to study the properties and behaviors of charged particles, as well as the materials and structures they interact with. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science, biology, and medicine.

How is synchrotron radiation produced?

Synchrotron radiation is produced when charged particles, typically electrons, are accelerated through a magnetic field. This acceleration causes the particles to emit energy in the form of photons, which make up the synchrotron radiation. The resulting radiation is highly focused and intense, making it useful for various scientific research applications.