System Design of a Solar Power System

In summary, the conversation is about constructing an efficient cathodic protection system using solar energy. The person is struggling because most online resources only provide basic information and do not specify whether the panels should be arranged in series or parallel. They have calculated that the system needs 120v at 5A, but do not know how to arrange the panels to achieve these values. They also mention that the power passes through a controller before the process begins. They have attempted to solve the problem by considering basic series system layouts but are still unsure. They are asked to provide links to the reading they have done on solar power systems so far.
Coolguynice

Homework Statement

I'm doing an assignment on cathodic protection systems using solar energy and have no idea on how to construct an efficient system. All the ones online are too basic and don't specify whether the panels are in series or parallel or not. I've calculated that the system needs 120v at 5A but have no idea on how you would arrange panels to get these values and considering the fact that the power passes through a controller before the process begins. Just really lost here and have no idea where to start

Homework Equations

V=IR calculated voltage as 120v and current at 5A needed for system.

The Attempt at a Solution

To reach the voltage, I've considered basic series system layouts but besides that i know very little to properly solve anything

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coolguynice said:

Homework Statement

I'm doing an assignment on cathodic protection systems using solar energy and have no idea on how to construct an efficient system. All the ones online are too basic and don't specify whether the panels are in series or parallel or not. I've calculated that the system needs 120v at 5A but have no idea on how you would arrange panels to get these values and considering the fact that the power passes through a controller before the process begins. Just really lost here and have no idea where to start

Homework Equations

V=IR calculated voltage as 120v and current at 5A needed for system.

The Attempt at a Solution

To reach the voltage, I've considered basic series system layouts but besides that i know very little to properly solve anything
Could you post links to the reading you've been doing so far about solar power systems? Home solar panel installations would come close to what you are tasked with putting together. Show us the reading you've been doing on such systems please, so we can try to give you some hints on the parts you are struggling with... :smile:

Related to System Design of a Solar Power System

1. What is the purpose of a solar power system?

The purpose of a solar power system is to convert sunlight into usable electricity. This is done through the use of solar panels, which contain photovoltaic (PV) cells that absorb sunlight and convert it into direct current (DC) electricity.

2. How does a solar power system work?

A solar power system works by using solar panels to collect sunlight and convert it into electricity. The electricity is then sent to an inverter, which converts it into alternating current (AC) electricity that can be used in homes and businesses. The AC electricity is then sent to the electrical panel and distributed to the various appliances and devices in the building.

3. What components are included in a solar power system?

A solar power system typically includes solar panels, an inverter, a battery (optional), and a charge controller. The solar panels collect sunlight and convert it into electricity, the inverter converts the electricity into a usable form, and the battery and charge controller store and regulate the electricity for later use.

4. How do you design a solar power system?

Designing a solar power system involves determining the energy needs of the building, calculating the size and number of solar panels needed, selecting an appropriate inverter and battery (if desired), and determining the best location for the solar panels to maximize sunlight exposure.

5. What are the environmental benefits of using a solar power system?

Using a solar power system has several environmental benefits, including reducing carbon emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, conserving natural resources, and minimizing air and water pollution. Solar energy is a renewable resource and does not produce greenhouse gases, making it a clean and sustainable energy source.