System for turning Rotational into Linear movement

In summary, a rack and pinion system is more efficient and easier to use than a Lego style system, but a ball screw or lead screw can also be used.
MattyAB
Hey Everyone,

I want to build a Laser cutter for myself from scratch (sort of). I need some way of turning the rotational energy of the servo into a linear movement. I want something fairly cheap, so nothing to pricey. I thought of the classic Lego style thing, with a gear on the servo, with a 'flat' gear:
Rack_and_pinion_animation.gif

I couldn't find anything like this though - is there a specific name for them? Or is there a more efficient and easier way of doing this job?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Called a rack and pinion .

Much easier though to use long screws with nuts .

Aha thanks.
What do you mean by "long screws with nuts"?

Thanks again!

He means a ball screw or a lead screw. They are generally easier to use than a rack and pinion system and have better tolerance and backlash properties. They take in price rather wildly depending on your application and precision requirements.

There is quite a large online community for people building their own CNC machines. Try googling "DIY CNC machine" without quotes and you should be able to find people who have built something similar before, sources for kit etc

There is also the recirculating ball mechanism, which is a worm and sector gear arrangement with uncaged ball bearings between the worm gear (on the drive shaft) and ball nut rack to reduce wear, friction and backlash. One difference is that rack and pinion is reversible (moving the rack turns the pinion). Worm and pinion gear train is not reversible unless the gear ratio is very low.

I believe you will also need closed loop servo motors to move the cutting head. Both position and speed are fed back to the error detector. The motor slows down as position error goes to zero in order to prevent overshoot.

FAQ: System for turning Rotational into Linear movement

1. How does a system for turning rotational into linear movement work?

A system for turning rotational into linear movement typically consists of a rotating component, such as a motor or crankshaft, and a translating component, such as a piston or rack and pinion. The rotational motion of the rotating component is converted into linear motion of the translating component through various mechanisms, such as gears, belts, or pulleys.

2. What are some common applications of a system for turning rotational into linear movement?

A system for turning rotational into linear movement is commonly used in various mechanical systems, such as engines, pumps, conveyors, and robotic arms. It can also be found in everyday objects, such as bicycles, cars, and kitchen appliances.

3. What are the advantages of using a system for turning rotational into linear movement?

One of the main advantages of using a system for turning rotational into linear movement is its ability to convert different types of motion, such as circular motion, into linear motion. This allows for more versatile and efficient mechanical designs. Additionally, these systems are often compact and can provide high levels of precision and control.

4. What are the different types of mechanisms used in a system for turning rotational into linear movement?

Some common mechanisms used in a system for turning rotational into linear movement include gears, pulleys, belts, screw drives, and cam and follower systems. Each mechanism has its own advantages and is suitable for different applications depending on factors such as speed, torque, and precision requirements.

5. How can I select the best system for turning rotational into linear movement for my project?

Selecting the best system for turning rotational into linear movement depends on various factors, such as the specific application, required motion characteristics, load requirements, and budget. It is important to carefully consider these factors and consult with a mechanical engineer or expert to determine the most suitable system for your project.

Back