How Do Two Masses and Three Springs Interact with a Dashpot?

In summary, two particles of mass M are hung between three identical springs with spring constant k and no gravity is neglected. A dashpot of negligible mass exerts a force of bv, opposing the motion, where v is the relative velocity of the two ends. The displacement of the masses from equilibrium is given by x1 and x2. The equation of motion for each mass can be found by using different F = -kx formulae and adding -bv to it. The equation of motion can also be solved in terms of the new dependent variables y1 = x1 + x2 and y2 = x1 - x2. If the masses are initially at rest and mass 1 is given initial velocity v0, the motion of
a.man

Homework Statement

Two particles, each of mass M, are hung between three identical springs. Each spring is massless and has spring constant k. Neglect gravity. The masses are connected as shown to a dashpot of negligible mass.

The dashpot exerts a force of bv, where v is the relative velocity of its two ends. The force opposes the motion. Let x1 and x2 be the displacement of the two masses from equilibrium.

a. Find the equation of motion for each mass.

b. Show that the equation of motion can be solved in terms of the new dependent variables y1 = x1 + x2 and y1 = x1 - x2.

c. Show that if the masses are initially at rest and mass 1 is given initial velocity v0, the motion of the masses after a sufficiently long time is
x1=x2
= (v0/2ω)* sin(ωt)

Evaluate ω.

Homework Equations

x.. + γx.+ ω2x = 0

x = Ae-γt/2cos(ωt + ∅)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I managed to get the first two by just using different F = -kx formulae and adding -bv to it.

The second part I just added and subtracted the equations to get:
y..1 + ω2y1 + [itex]\frac{2bv}{m}[/itex] = 0

and

y..2 + 3ω2y2 = 0

I think these are right, as far as I know. The thing is, I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I tried using:

x = Ae-γt/2cos(ωt + ∅)

I can get it very close to the answer, but I don't think that's how you're supposed to do this... using what I got in part 2 would be more relevant, I think.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seeing the diagram or at least its description would be helpful.

Sorry, this is the image:

35cf45ff-190f-4bc2-acc7-636af40a0b06.png

Could you show your equations for a) and the derivation for b)?

ma1=-kx1-k(x1-x2) - bv

ma2=-kx2-k(x2-x1) - bv

These were my first two equations of motion.

I just added and subtracted them, using k = ω2m to get the equations for 2.

Quick question: can I take relative velocity v as equal to the derivative of y2 with respect to time?

But what is v in your equations? And how come it is the same in both equations?

"... where v is the relative velocity of its two ends. The force opposes the motion."

So yeah, it should be the same for both cases – both magnitude and direction.

"Relative velocity" is relative to the velocity of the opposite end. It is the same (= zero) only of the ends have the same velocity. Express it in terms of x1 and x2 for both ends.

voko said:
"Relative velocity" is relative to the velocity of the opposite end. It is the same (= zero) only of the ends have the same velocity. Express it in terms of x1 and x2 for both ends.

Yeah, it's the relative velocity of one end of the dashpot to the other (thus the relative velocity of one mass to another).

So for the first mass it'll be derivate of x2 minus that of x1 with respect to time... and for the second mass it'll be negative of that? But the force opposes the motion. Therefore, for the first mass that is displaced by x1, the force will be negative (to the left). Similarly, if the second mass is displaced by x2, the force will be negative as well. Are my signs wrong?

If relative velocity is in terms of x2 - x1, then I could express it in terms of y2, right?

On another note, in the third part, if x1 = x2 then relative velocity should be 0.

a.man said:
Yeah, it's the relative velocity of one end of the dashpot to the other (thus the relative velocity of one mass to another).

So for the first mass it'll be derivate of x2 minus that of x1 with respect to time... and for the second mass it'll be negative of that? But the force opposes the motion.

I am with you till this point.

Therefore, for the first mass that is displaced by x1, the force will be negative (to the left). Similarly, if the second mass is displaced by x2, the force will be negative as well. Are my signs wrong?

This is less clear. The net force acting on either mass is the sum of three forces, two due to springs and one due to damping. I think should write down the equations in terms of x1 and x2 just for clarity.

If relative velocity is in terms of x2 - x1, then I could express it in terms of y2, right?

Yes, but, again, you should write down the equations in terms of x1 and x2 first.

Related to How Do Two Masses and Three Springs Interact with a Dashpot?

1. What is a System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs?

A System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs is a mechanical system consisting of two masses connected by three springs. The masses and springs are arranged in such a way that they can move back and forth, causing the springs to stretch and compress. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study simple harmonic motion and energy transfer.

2. How does the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs work?

The System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs works by transferring energy between the two masses through the three springs. When one mass is displaced, it stretches or compresses the springs, causing the other mass to move. This movement continues back and forth, with energy being transferred between the masses and the springs, until the system reaches an equilibrium.

3. How is the motion of the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs described?

The motion of the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs is described as simple harmonic motion. This means that the masses move back and forth in a periodic manner, with a constant amplitude and frequency. The motion can also be described using equations such as Hooke's Law and the equations of motion for simple harmonic motion.

4. What factors affect the motion of the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs?

Several factors can affect the motion of the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs. These include the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the springs, and the initial displacement of the masses. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the motion of the system.

5. What are the applications of the System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs?

The System of 2 Masses – 3 Springs has various applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to study simple harmonic motion and energy transfer. It can also be used in the design of shock absorbers, suspension systems, and other mechanical systems that involve the transfer of energy through springs.