System of Differential equation to solve.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using eigenvalues and eigenvectors to find the homogeneous solution, and using the method of undertermined coefficients to find the particular solution. The equations for the particular solution are derived by matching up the vector terms containing e^x and xe^x on both sides. The conversation also mentions the use of the equation editor and some confusion with terminology.
DaxInvader

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation.

y'= {{2,-1},{3,-2}}y + {{1},{-1}}(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex]

If it's not clear, I made an image for it.

http://i.imgur.com/lypTxqf.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]y{g}[/itex] = [itex]y{h}[/itex] + [itex]y{p}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, I am looking for a homogeneous solution and a particular solution.

I started by looking at the eigen values and eigen vectors.

I found [itex]\lambda[/itex]1 = 1 and [itex]\lambda[/itex]2 = -1

And the vectors that go with them : [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V1}[/itex] = (1, 1) and [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V2}[/itex] = (1,3). with give me the homogeneous solution

[itex]y{h}[/itex] = C1(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex](1, 1) + C2(e)[itex]^{-x}[/itex](1, 3)

But I have a hard time looking for a particular solution..

I supposed that Yp was something like [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/itex] * x * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] + [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{b}[/itex] * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] and... I'm having a lot of trouble from there.. I found Y'p and. it start to get pretty complicated.. is there an easier way? I'm I doing this right?

thanks!

Dario

Physics news on Phys.org
DaxInvader said:

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation.

y'= {{2,-1},{3,-2}}y + {{1},{-1}}(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex]

If it's not clear, I made an image for it.

http://i.imgur.com/lypTxqf.jpg
The built-in equation editor is so clumsy isn't it?
Here's how to write that out in latex: ##\renewcommand{\dyx}[1]{\frac{d #1}{dx}}## $$\dyx{\vec{y}} = \begin{pmatrix} 2 & -1 \\ 3 & -2 \end{pmatrix} \vec{y} + \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ -1 \end{pmatrix} e^x = \text{A}\vec{y}+\vec{w}e^x$$ (Ill do this all the way through just to make sure I have properly understood you.)

Homework Equations

[itex]y{g}[/itex] = [itex]y{h}[/itex] + [itex]y{p}[/itex]
You mean $$y_g=y_h+y_p$$ ??
##y_h## would be commonly referred to as the "complimentary solution".

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically, I am looking for a homogeneous solution and a particular solution.

I started by looking at the eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

I found [itex]\lambda[/itex]1 = 1 and [itex]\lambda[/itex]2 = -1

And the vectors that go with them : [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V1}[/itex] = (1, 1) and [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{V2}[/itex] = (1,3). with give me the homogeneous solution

[itex]y{h}[/itex] = C1(e)[itex]^{x}[/itex](1, 1) + C2(e)[itex]^{-x}[/itex](1, 3)
You got eigenvalues ##\lambda_1=1## and ##\lambda_2=-1## with corresponding eigenvectors $$\vec{v}_1= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} \; ;\; \vec{v}_2= \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 3 \end{pmatrix} \; \Rightarrow \vec{y}_h=C_1 \vec{v}_1 e^x + C_2 \vec{v}_2 e^{-x}$$

But I have a hard time looking for a particular solution..

I supposed that Yp was something like [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{a}[/itex] * x * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] + [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{b}[/itex] * (e)[itex]^{x}[/itex] and... I'm having a lot of trouble from there.. I found Y'p and. it start to get pretty complicated.. is there an easier way? I'm I doing this right?
method of undertermined coefficients?
maybe: ##\vec{y}_p = \vec{a}e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x}## ?
then $$\vec{y}^\prime_p = (\vec{a}+\vec{b})e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x} = \text{A}(\vec{a}e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x}) + \vec{w}e^x$$ ... so that $$\vec{a}+\vec{b}=\text{A}\vec{a}+\vec{w}\\ \vec{b} = \text{A}\vec{b}$$... something like that?
Where do you get stuck?

ref.
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/NonhomogeneousSystems.aspx

Last edited:
Haha sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning all the terms since I'm a french student.

The method I'm doing is pretty much the same thing, But I'm just maybe confused on how it actually works..

I don't get how a + b = Aa + w and b = Ab.. But I'm going to do the problem again and maybe i'll wake up haha

Simon Bridge said:
##y_h## would be commonly referred to as the "complimentary solution".

That would be complementary.

Simon Bridge said:
maybe: ##\vec{y}_p = \vec{a}e^x + \vec{b}xe^{x}## ?
then $$\vec{y}^\prime_p = (\vec{a}+\vec{b})\color{red}{e^x} + \vec{b}\color{blue}{xe^{x}} = \text{A}(\vec{a}\color{red}{e^x} + \vec{b}\color{blue}{xe^{x}}) + \vec{w}\color{red}{e^x}$$

Simon Bridge said:
$$\vec{a}+\vec{b}=\text{A}\vec{a}+\vec{w}\\ \vec{b} = \text{A}\vec{b}$$

@DaxInvader, you get these equations by matching up the vector terms containing ##e^x## and ##xe^x## on both sides.

LCKurtz said:
Yeah - they don't give them away for free. :-p

LCKurtz said:
Why thank you, that's nice of you to say so...
(There is no i in complementary huh... it's always about the other person...)

DaxInvader said:
Haha sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning all the terms since I'm a french student.
Your English is better than a lot of native speakers, I don't want you to think I was correcting you when I was checking my understanding ;)
I don't get how a + b = Aa + w and b = Ab.
From grouping like terms as SithsNGiggles points out. It's just the same as you are used to only the coefficients are vectors. I was wondering if that was the trouble.

Related to System of Differential equation to solve.

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe how a group of variables change over time. These equations involve the derivatives of the variables, which represent the rate of change of the variables.

2. How do you solve a system of differential equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of differential equations, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and graphical methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

3. What is the purpose of using a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is used to model and understand the behavior of complex systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. It allows us to predict how the variables in a system will change over time and make informed decisions based on those predictions.

4. Can a system of differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of differential equations can have multiple solutions. This is because the equations involved are often nonlinear and can have multiple sets of initial conditions that result in different solutions.

5. How is a system of differential equations different from a single differential equation?

A system of differential equations involves multiple equations and multiple variables, while a single differential equation only involves one equation and one variable. A system of differential equations is used to model more complex systems, while a single differential equation is used for simpler systems.