System of equations 4 variable

In summary, the conversation was about solving a system of linear equations using the substitution method. There was a mistake in the calculation of the y-value, which was later corrected to be 3. The use of matrices, particularly Gaussian elimination, was suggested as a possible alternative method for solving the equations.
synergix

Homework Statement

Solve
2w + 2x - 5y + z = -16 (1)
-w + x + 6y - z = 15 (2)
2w - x + y + 6z = 3 (3)
w + x + 2y - z = 7 (4)

The Attempt at a Solution

(2) + (4) = 2x + 8y - 2z = 22 (5)

2(2) + (3)= x + 13y + 4z = 33(6)

2(2) + (1)= 4x + 7y - z = 14 (7)
--------------------------------------

-2(6) + (5)= -18y - 10z = -44 (8)

-4(6) + (7)= -45y - 17z = -118(9)

-------------------------------------------

-17(8) + 10 (9)= y = 432/90 (10)

then start substituting. is this the best way to do it I found it very tedious and my answers didnt check I obviously made a mistake somewhere but I can't say I know what I did wrong (w,x,y,z) (62/85,207/85,24/5,98/17)

Physics news on Phys.org
I found my mistake y=3

The best way to solve the problem depends on your mathematical background. It seems evident that you don't have any experience with matrices, or else you would have used likely used Gaussian elimination (which is usually quicker, especially with a computer).

The work for you to learn this tool (Gaussian elimination) in solving systems of linear equations should be relatively easy for you to obtain with your current background. If your interested, see the link with example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_elimination#Example

(5), (6) ,(7), (8), (9) are right.

In (10), however, the y-coefficient, (-17)*(-18)-45*10=-144, rather than -90. (RHS equals -432.

Thus, the y-value out to be 432/144=3

Thus, z=-1, and you can calculate x and w yourself. :smile:

actually in my math course matrices are not covered for whatever reason. we stop right before the chapter on matrices. and completely skip it. I will have to ask my instructor why.

yes somehow I got 90 from that subtraction not sure how but I figured it out now thx.

Related to System of equations 4 variable

1. What is a system of equations with 4 variables?

A system of equations with 4 variables is a set of equations with 4 unknown variables that need to be solved simultaneously. The solution to this system will be a set of values for each variable that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

2. How do you solve a system of equations with 4 variables?

To solve a system of equations with 4 variables, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. First, choose two equations and eliminate one variable by adding or subtracting the equations. Then, use the remaining two equations and eliminate another variable. Repeat this process until you have only one variable left, and then solve for that variable. Finally, substitute the value of that variable into the other equations to find the remaining variables.

3. Can a system of equations with 4 variables have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of equations with 4 variables can have multiple solutions. This means that there are more than one set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. These solutions can be found by solving the equations using different methods or by graphing the equations and finding the points of intersection.

4. Is it possible for a system of equations with 4 variables to have no solution?

Yes, it is possible for a system of equations with 4 variables to have no solution. This means that there is no set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This can happen when the equations are contradictory or when there are not enough equations to solve for all of the variables.

5. How is a system of equations with 4 variables used in real life?

A system of equations with 4 variables can be used in real life to model various situations, such as in economics, engineering, or physics. For example, in economics, a system of equations with 4 variables can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company by considering factors such as cost, demand, and supply. In engineering, a system of equations with 4 variables can be used to design and optimize systems, such as electrical circuits or chemical reactions. In physics, a system of equations with 4 variables can be used to model the motion of objects with multiple forces acting on them.