System of equations with Mathematica

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of solving a system of equations with five unknowns using Mathematica. The system includes one equation and one inequality, making it a challenging problem to solve. The conversation also suggests a possible approach to solving the equations by rearranging them in terms of one of the variables.
Siron
Hello!

I'm currently working with Maple but I do not really like the program. Is there someone with Mathematica who can run this system?

$$\left \{ \begin{array}{ll} 16x^4-40ax^3+(15a^2+24b)x^2-18abx+3b^2 = 0 \\ 4x^4+5a s \sqrt{v} x^2 - 8 s \sqrt{v} x^3 - b s \sqrt{v} x > 0 \end{array} \right.$$

If it would help $a<0$ and $s<0$.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hmm. Mathematica is not going to be able to solve your system fully, because you have five unknowns, but only one equation and one inequality. You can find $x$ in terms of $a$ and $b$, but that's a quartic, which will be horrendous. It'll take pages just to write down the solution. As for the inequality, I'm not sure Mathematica could glean much of anything from that.

Ackbach said:
Hmm. Mathematica is not going to be able to solve your system fully, because you have five unknowns, but only one equation and one inequality. You can find $x$ in terms of $a$ and $b$, but that's a quartic, which will be horrendous. It'll take pages just to write down the solution. As for the inequality, I'm not sure Mathematica could glean much of anything from that.

Thanks Ackbach! I knew I could expecting something like this. These ugly expressions keep coming ...

Siron said:
$$\left \{ \begin{array}{ll} 16x^4-40ax^3+(15a^2+24b)x^2-18abx+3b^2 = 0 \\ 4x^4+5a s \sqrt{v} x^2 - 8 s \sqrt{v} x^3 - b s \sqrt{v} x > 0 \end{array} \right.$$
With all those variables and 1 equation only, what is the problem statement?

The equation can be rearranged in terms of b (as example):

b = [-u +- SQRT(u^2 - 12v)] / 6
where:
u = 24x^2 - 18ax
v = 16x^4 - 40ax^3 + 15ax^2

So if x and a are givens, then you can solve for b.

FAQ: System of equations with Mathematica

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a collection of two or more equations that are solved simultaneously to find the values of the variables that satisfy all equations in the system.

How can I solve a system of equations using Mathematica?

To solve a system of equations using Mathematica, you can use the built-in function Solve or NSolve. Solve is used for exact solutions while NSolve is used for numerical solutions.

What is the syntax for entering a system of equations in Mathematica?

The syntax for entering a system of equations in Mathematica is to use curly brackets to enclose the equations, separated by commas. For example, {equation1, equation2, equation3}.

Can Mathematica solve systems of equations with complex numbers?

Yes, Mathematica can solve systems of equations with complex numbers. You can use the built-in function ComplexExpand to simplify the solutions and see the real and imaginary parts.

Are there any limitations to solving systems of equations with Mathematica?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving systems of equations, there may be cases where the solutions are too complex or cannot be found. In these cases, it is recommended to use numerical methods or to simplify the equations before solving them.