System of Simultaneous Congruences

• Thread starter Korg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the student was not sure how to solve a simultaneous equation using the Chinese remainder theorem. They attempted to solve the problem using the two X+2Y congruences and got that X+2Y=3 (mod 35). However, they are not sure if this even helps to solve the whole system. They asked for help from their peers, but they were not able to solve the problem. The student then tried to solve the problem using a matrix method, but it did not work. The student was then able to solve the problem using the same method as the person who helped them in the first place.
Korg

Homework Statement

Solve the following system of simulataneous congruences:

2X+3Y = 2(mod 5)
X+2Y = 3 (mod 5)
X+2Y = 3 (mod 7)
4X+3Y = 4 (mod 7)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve a similar problem if there was just one variable, using the Chinese remainder theorem but I'm not quite sure how to adapt it here. I know the CRT is applicable since 5 and 7 are coprime.

I started trying to solve it by using the two X+2Y congruences and got that X+2Y = 3 (mod 35) . but I'm not sure if this even helps to solve the whole system.
Can anyone help at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think, you can solve the first 2 equations, which gives
X=0 (mod 5)
Y=4 (mod 5)
and then the 3rd and 4th.. which gives
X=4 (mod 7)
Y=3 (mod 7)

And, then solve X=0(mod 5) and X=4(mod 7), which would give X=25 (mod 35)
similarly for Y, you should get Y=24 (mod 35)

By the way, are you studying at Warwick university?

Thanks alot, i get it now. I just wasnt sure how to handle it with 2 variables and then realized you can just treat it as a normal simultaneous equation when you're working with the same modulo.
And yes i do, you've found me out haha

lol! haha..
Im studying at Warwick too!
Just let me know if my answer is right or not, after u solve it.. coz, I'm not sure if I've made any careless mistakes in between..

I got exactly the same answer, so hopefully it's right!

hey I got same answer too, problem I am having is solving the second set of equations

X+2Y = 3 (mod 7)
4X+3Y = 4 (mod 7)

I know the answer I want but the matrix I make to get this answer gives me the wrong solutions, does anyone have any help to do this? I can do the rest of the problem easily and get the same answer as you guys I just can't see where I am going wrong on this part

I think, you can multiply equation 1 by 3 and then subtract it from 2, which will give you a value for Y, and then substitute in any of the equations to get X

ah yeah thanks that does work but i find the matrix method to be better as technically multiplying the first equation by 4 should give me 4X + 8Y = 12mod28

as if a = bmod(m) then na = nbmod(nm) which whilst your way does give the correct answer I am not sure its technically right as I did do that in the first place but then wondered about if it was actually true

i used a matrix method which worked for the first set but on this one my matrix just doesn't work, i need the det to be 1 diffrent than it is but maybe I can skip that and say by the method used in step one

hey
how do we use matrices to solve these? Ax=b?

Well, what I did was:
3X+6Y=9+21m
4X+3Y=4+7n
Adding them gives:
7X+9Y=13+7(3m+n)
9Y=13+7(3m+n-X)
9Y= 13 (mod 7)
9Y= 6 (mod 7)
So, Y=3 (mod 7)

Please let me know if the above is right or wrong, and also if the matrix method is more sophisticated...thnx

yeah your way works, you wouldn't need 9Y either you could just put 2Y as 9 = 2mod7

the matrix way is [a b
~~~~~~~~~~~c d] [X,Y]^T = [ e f] ^T (sorry for the ~ had to make the matrix line up)

where aX + bY = emodn
cX + dY = fmodn

then you just multiply the left hand sade with the left inverse of the 2x2 matrix to find X, Y

worked for me in the first case fine but something went wrong in the second case, I think it is more sophisticated and definitely helps when you have more than 2 equations or 2 variables however I seem to have made a mistake in my second matrix for the mod7 part but I can't figure out where, works perfectly and easily for the first part

Last edited:
for the 2nd part (using matrices)
(X, Y) = (-1/5, 8/5)
So, 5X=-1 mod 7
5X=6 mod 7, hence X=4 mod 7
Similarly for Y
5Y=8 mod 7=1 mod 7
So, Y=3 mod 7
So, it does work and is definitely more sophisticated! :)

ah yeah thanks i had tried to convert the determinant into mod7 instead, easier to not do that it turns out, cheers :)

Related to System of Simultaneous Congruences

What is a system of simultaneous congruences?

A system of simultaneous congruences is a set of congruence equations where each equation has the same unknown variable and the solutions to the equations satisfy all the equations in the system. It is a useful tool in solving complex mathematical problems involving congruence relationships.

How is a system of simultaneous congruences solved?

A system of simultaneous congruences is solved by using the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which states that if the moduli of the equations are pairwise coprime, then there exists a unique solution to the system. This solution can be found by using the Extended Euclidean Algorithm.

What is the importance of solving a system of simultaneous congruences?

Solving a system of simultaneous congruences is important in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It allows for the efficient solving of complex problems involving congruence relationships.

Can a system of simultaneous congruences have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of simultaneous congruences can have multiple solutions. This can occur when the moduli of the equations are not pairwise coprime, resulting in multiple solutions satisfying the equations in the system.

Are there any real-world applications of systems of simultaneous congruences?

Yes, systems of simultaneous congruences have various real-world applications, including in cryptography for secure communication, in error-correcting codes for data transmission, and in scheduling problems in computer science. They are also used in solving problems related to modular arithmetic in engineering and physics.