System of two particles: Prove motion along connecting line

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of two particles in an isolated system, with equations of motion expressed in terms of a potential function and its gradient. The goal is to prove that the particles will move along the line connecting their starting points. This can be shown by assuming the potential is a function of distance from one particle and using coordinate transformations to recast the equations of motion. However, if this assumption cannot be made, the result may not hold true.
Cepterus

Homework Statement

Given an isolated system of 2 particles in space, we can express the motion of both particles as follows:
$$m_1\ddot{\vec{x_1}}=-\frac\partial{\partial \vec{x_{1}}} V(\vec{x_1},\vec{x_2})\\
m_2\ddot{\vec{x_2}}=-\frac\partial{\partial \vec{x_2}} V(\vec{x_1},\vec{x_2}),$$ where ##V## shall be a potential and ##\frac\partial{\partial \vec{x}}V## shall denote its gradient.

Assuming both particles are at rest at first, prove that they will move on the line which connects both starting points.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In the end, we have to get a result of ##\vec x_i = k_i(\vec x_{2,0} - \vec x_{1,0})##, where ##k_i## is a scalar. Usually I would find ##\vec x## by setting up a differential equation and solving it, but since the equations of motion given here are so general, I don't know how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
How to prove this depends on what properties we are allowed to infer from the statement
Cepterus said:
where V shall be a potential
If we are allowed to infer that the potential of the field created by particle 1 is a function solely of the distance from particle 1 (which is the case for point particles under classical gravitational and electrostatic forces), and we further assume that both particles are approximately point particles, then the result will be easy to prove.

If not, it may not even be true.

I would try coordinate transformations involving the center of mass the motion of which you should be able to separate out. For example, let
##X=\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2}{m_1+m_2}## and ##\xi=x_2-x_1##.
With copious use of the chain rule, you should be able to recast the two equations in terms of the new coordinates. Since the system is isolated (no external forces) you expect one equation to be ##\ddot{X}=0##. The other equation should involve ##\ddot{\xi}## which is along the line joining the particles.

Disclaimer: I have not worked this out, but my intuition says it's worth trying.

Related to System of two particles: Prove motion along connecting line

1. What is a "system of two particles"?

A system of two particles refers to a physical system consisting of two separate objects or particles that interact with each other. This could include a pair of planets orbiting each other, two charged particles attracting or repelling each other, or any other scenario where two particles are connected in some way.

2. What is meant by "motion along connecting line"?

Motion along connecting line refers to the movement of the two particles in a system along the line connecting them. This means that the particles are moving in a straight line towards or away from each other, depending on the nature of their interaction.

3. How is motion along connecting line proved in a system of two particles?

Motion along connecting line can be proved mathematically using the laws of motion and the principles of physics. By analyzing the forces acting on the particles and their initial conditions, the equations of motion can be solved to determine their trajectories and prove that they are moving along the connecting line.

4. What factors affect the motion along connecting line in a system of two particles?

The motion along connecting line in a system of two particles can be affected by a variety of factors, such as the mass and velocity of the particles, the strength of their interaction, and any external forces acting on them. These factors can influence the direction, speed, and acceleration of the particles as they move along the connecting line.

5. Can motion along connecting line be observed in real-world systems?

Yes, motion along connecting line can be observed in many real-world systems. One example is the motion of planets or satellites orbiting each other, which follows the laws of motion and can be mathematically described as motion along the connecting line. Other examples include charged particles moving towards or away from each other, or objects connected by a string or spring.