Systems of equation w/3 stock solutions

• Thread starter melby2188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: The cheapest way to make the 17% salt solution is to use the 5% salt solution, which costs $28 per liter. Alternately, you could use the 400ml of the 40% salt solution, which costs $50 per liter.
melby2188
one must create 250ml of a 17% salt solution. You have three stock solutions. One liter container of a 5% salt, a 500ml of a 28% salt solution and a 400ml of 40% salt solution. Calculate the cheapest method of preparing the 17% salt sol. if the 5% salt solution costs $28 per liter, the 28% solution costs $38 per liter, and 40% sol. costs $50 per liter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

As a new member, you might not have had a chance to look at the rules (click the Rules button in the menu bar at the top). Before we can give any help, you need to show what you have tried to solve your problem.

Sorry,This is what i have so far: x+y+z=250 and .05x+.28y+.40z=.17(250) and i think the cost function should be something like c(x,y,z)=1/1000(28x+38y+50z) I know i need to use systems of equations I am just not sure how to solve it with the cost equation or if the cost equation is correct.

With just a casual perusal of the problem, it seems to me that you want to use only the two lower concentration solutions and none of the high concentration solution. Since the desired solution should have a concentration of 17% salt, and since there is enough of the two cheaper solutions to make 250 ml, you should be able to find out how much of each of the two cheaper solutions gives you
a) a total of 250 ml. of solution
b) the right amount of salt in the solution

So your two equations should keep track of the total liquid amount, and the total amount of salt.

Notice that if the desired solution had a concentration higher than 28%, you would have to use some of the more expensive mix, or if the amount of the cheapest mix happened to be too small.

ok thanks this is what I am getting

using x+y=250 and .05x+.28y=.17(250)
x=119.565 and y=130.435
putting this back into the cost function 1/1000(28x+38y) i get $8.30
does this sound right?

Yes, this looks fine.

Related to Systems of equation w/3 stock solutions

1. What are systems of equations with 3 stock solutions?

Systems of equations with 3 stock solutions refer to a mathematical method used to solve problems involving three unknown variables. It involves creating a set of equations based on the given information and using algebraic techniques to find the values of the variables.

2. How are systems of equations with 3 stock solutions used in science?

Systems of equations with 3 stock solutions are used in science to model and solve problems involving multiple variables. They can be used in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology to determine the concentrations of different substances or the relationships between different quantities.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a system of equations with 3 stock solutions?

The first step is to identify the unknown variables and assign them variables, such as x, y, and z. Then, create a set of equations based on the given information. Next, use algebraic techniques, such as substitution or elimination, to solve for the variables. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equations to ensure it satisfies all of them.

4. Can systems of equations with 3 stock solutions have more than one solution?

Yes, systems of equations with 3 stock solutions can have more than one solution. This is known as a consistent system, where the equations intersect at multiple points, resulting in multiple solutions. It is also possible to have no solution (an inconsistent system) or an infinite number of solutions (a dependent system).

5. Are there any real-world applications of systems of equations with 3 stock solutions?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of systems of equations with 3 stock solutions. They are commonly used in fields such as economics, where they can be used to model supply and demand, or in engineering to determine optimal solutions for complex systems. They are also used in everyday life, such as calculating the cost of purchasing items in bulk at different prices.