Systems of Particles: Man Climbing Rope Ladder Suspended from Balloon

In summary, the balloon will move upwards with a speed v and the man will stay attached to the ladder. After the man stops climbing, the balloon will return to a stationary state.
Destrio
A man of mass m clings to a rope ladder suspended below a balloon of mass M. The balloon is stationary with respect to the ground.

a) If the man begins to climb the ladder at a speed v (with respect to the ladder), in what direction and with what speed (with respect to the Earth) will the balloon move?

b) What is the state of motion after the man stops climbing?

When the man is climbing the ladder, the centre of mass will be moving upwards, so the balloon will be moving upwards as well with respect to the earth.

And after the man stops climbing, the balloon will return to a stationary state, with lower altitude since it has greater mass.

Is my thinking here correct?

I'm not sure how to begin calculating the v of the balloon, I think I need to calculate the change in centre of mass/the derivate of the centre of mass with respect to time?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
So if we are just working in the y direction

ycm = (m1y1 + m2y2) / (m1+m2)
ycm = (My1 + my2) / (M+m)

Vcm = dycm/t = [M(dy1/dt) + m(dy2/dt)] / (M+m)
Vcm = (Mv1 + mv2) / (M+m)

Do I have to regard this as a many-particle system? A 2 particle system (man and balloon)? Or 2 many-particle systems?

If we need to look at it as 2 many particle systems? Will I need to use integral calculus? Because we we're shown many particle systems in the form on integrals but aren't expected to use it to solve problems since it's a first year course.

Vcm for balloon = (1/M)Σmnvn

Vcm for man = (1/m)Σmnvn

or can I do

Vcm for system = (1/(M+m))Σmnv

am I doing any of this correctly?
I'm really confused on the concept of centre of mass, I have read over all my notes and my textbook section on it and I don't understand how to apply it.

Thanks

FAQ: Systems of Particles: Man Climbing Rope Ladder Suspended from Balloon

1. What is a system of particles?

A system of particles is a collection of individual particles that interact with each other through forces. These particles can be either stationary or in motion, and their motion is affected by the forces acting upon them.

2. How is the man climbing a rope ladder suspended from a balloon an example of a system of particles?

In this scenario, the man, the rope ladder, and the balloon are all individual particles that make up the system. The man exerts a downward force on the ladder, which in turn exerts an upward force on the man. The balloon also exerts an upward force on the man, counteracting the downward force of gravity. All of these particles are interacting and affecting each other's motion, making it a system of particles.

3. How do the forces acting on the particles affect their motion?

The forces acting on the particles determine their acceleration and ultimately their motion. In this scenario, the force of gravity is pulling the man and the ladder downwards, while the upward force from the balloon is counteracting it. The man's motion on the ladder is also affected by his own exertion of force as he climbs.

4. What are some real-life applications of systems of particles?

Systems of particles can be seen in many everyday activities, such as riding a bike, driving a car, or throwing a ball. They are also important in more complex systems, such as the motion of planets in our solar system or the flight of an airplane.

5. How do scientists study systems of particles?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Newton's laws of motion, to analyze and predict the motion of particles within a system. They also use computer simulations and experiments to study how different forces and interactions affect the behavior of the particles. This helps us better understand and predict the behavior of systems of particles in real-world situations.

Back