T-89 not giving pi back as cos(-1)

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a cosine calculator producing incorrect results. The speaker suggests using the inverse cosine function, which should give a result of pi. However, the calculator is producing either cos(1) or .540302 instead. The conversation also mentions a potential mistake in understanding trigonometric functions and the importance of knowing whether the input is in radians or degrees.
Tyrion101
I have a cosine calculator problem, and it keeps coming up wrong. So I figured to test it would be to do cosine of -1 which should be pi, either symbolically or numerically but it doesn't come out with either. It either produces cos(1) or .540302. It used to give pi as the symbol or as the number. What did I change?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Are you doing inverse cosine?

##arccos(-1) = \pi##

Tyrion101 said:
I have a cosine calculator problem, and it keeps coming up wrong. So I figured to test it would be to do cosine of -1 which should be pi, either symbolically or numerically but it doesn't come out with either.
You should be using cos-1, the inverse cosine function.
Tyrion101 said:
It either produces cos(1) or .540302. It used to give pi as the symbol or as the number. What did I change?

Thanks! I'd hate to fail the course because of a stupid mistake like this!

Tyrion101 said:
So I figured to test it would be to do cosine of -1 which should be pi
Tyrion101 said:
Thanks! I'd hate to fail the course because of a stupid mistake like this!
This mistake suggests a fairly serious flaw in your understanding of these trig functions. The sine and cosine functions never get above 1 or below -1, so it's not possible for the cosine of any real number to be ##\pi##.

Here is how to make sense very quickly:

[tex]cos(-1)=π[/tex] -----------------No. Too big for any cosine value.
and: Is that cosine function input in radians or in degrees?

FAQ: T-89 not giving pi back as cos(-1)

1. Why is the T-89 not giving pi back as cos(-1)?

The T-89 is a calculator that uses a numerical approximation method to calculate trigonometric functions. Therefore, it may not always give an exact value for pi or other trigonometric functions.

2. Is there a way to get the exact value of pi from the T-89?

No, the T-89 uses a limited number of digits for calculations and cannot provide an exact value for pi. It can only give an approximation of pi based on the number of digits it can handle.

3. Does this mean the T-89's calculations are not accurate?

No, the T-89's calculations are still accurate within the number of digits it can handle. However, it may not provide an exact value for pi or other trigonometric functions due to its numerical approximation method.

4. Can I change the settings on the T-89 to get a more accurate value for pi?

No, the T-89 uses a built-in algorithm for calculations and does not have customizable settings for trigonometric functions. It will always provide an approximation of pi based on its numerical method.

5. Are there other calculators that can give an exact value for pi?

Yes, there are other calculators and mathematical software programs that can give an exact value for pi. These include symbolic calculators and software such as Mathematica or MATLAB which use exact mathematical formulas for calculations rather than numerical approximation methods.

Back