T[Index] in Mathematica: Get Element with Variable Index

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter unih
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematica
In summary: Extract. In summary, the conversation discusses using a tensor in Mathematica and accessing specific elements using their indices. The discussants suggest using T[[Sequence @@ index]] or T[[Apply[Sequence,index]]] for a single operation, and using Extract for repeated operations.
unih
Hi.
In Mathematica I have tensor T for example
In[]:=Dimensions[T]
Out[]:={3,3,4}

now i have index of some element in the List form
index={1,2,3}

Now I want to use the element whose index is in variable index. How can I do it?

Physics news on Phys.org
T[[Sequence @@ index]]
or
T[[Apply[Sequence,index]]]

Thank you very much! Its the only combination I didnt try!

If you need to do this operation repeatedly, you're better off using Extract:

Code:
In[4]:= T = Array[t, {5, 5, 5}];

In[8]:= SetOptions[TimeAv, Method -> {"MinNum", 1000000}];

In[9]:= T[[Sequence @@ {3, 3, 4}]] // TimeAv

During evaluation of In[9]:= Total wall time is 2.646485, total cpu time is 2.65217 and total time spent evaluating the expression is 2.65217
During evaluation of In[9]:= The expression was evaluated 1100010 times, in blocks of 110001 runs. This yields a mean timing of 2.41104*10^-6 with a blocked standard deviation of 2.28871*10^-7.

Out[9]= {2.41104*10^-6, t[3, 3, 4]}

In[10]:= Extract[T, {3, 3, 4}] // TimeAv

During evaluation of In[10]:= Total wall time is 0.614893, total cpu time is 0.616039 and total time spent evaluating the expression is 0.616039
During evaluation of In[10]:= The expression was evaluated 1100010 times, in blocks of 110001 runs. This yields a mean timing of 5.6003*10^-7 with a blocked standard deviation of 4.65709*10^-8.

Out[10]= {5.6003*10^-7, t[3, 3, 4]}

The tutorial http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/ManipulatingListsByTheirIndices.html is worth looking at.

Thank you

Related to T[Index] in Mathematica: Get Element with Variable Index

1. What is the purpose of "T[Index]" in Mathematica?

The "T[Index]" function in Mathematica is used to retrieve an element from a list or array based on a variable index. This allows for more dynamic and flexible coding, as the index can be changed or calculated during the program execution.

2. How do I use "T[Index]" to access elements in a list?

To use "T[Index]" in Mathematica, you first need to define a list or array. Then, you can simply replace "Index" with the desired index number or variable, and the function will return the element at that index. For example, if you have a list named "myList" and want to access the third element, you would use "T[3, myList]".

3. Can "T[Index]" be used with non-numeric indices?

Yes, "T[Index]" can be used with both numeric and non-numeric indices. This allows for more versatility in coding, as the index can be a variable or even a string. However, keep in mind that the index still needs to correspond to an element in the list or array.

4. What happens if the index used with "T[Index]" is out of range?

If the index used with "T[Index]" is out of range (i.e. greater than the length of the list or array), an error will be returned. It is important to ensure that the index used is within the appropriate range to avoid errors in your code.

5. Can "T[Index]" be used with multidimensional lists or arrays?

Yes, "T[Index]" can be used with multidimensional lists or arrays. Simply specify the indices for each dimension separated by commas within the function. For example, if you have a 2D array named "myArray" and want to access the element at row 3, column 2, you would use "T[3, 2, myArray]".