Tabulation of physical and chemical data

In summary, the conversation revolved around a search for a large tabulation of physical and chemical data for various fluids, specifically alcohols and acids. The mentioned sources included NIST-REFPROP and a Google search for thermodynamic data. The conversation also touched upon the limitations of the available data and a program that was purchased for this purpose. The conclusion was a request for additional sources of thermodynamic information.
maistral
Hi!

I would like to crowdsource where can I find a large tabulation of physical and chemical data (ie. density, enthalpy and entropy; for both single-phase and saturated phases) for different fluids; preferrably for alcohols and acids.

What I'm trying to look for is something similar to Perry's physical and chemical data tabulations.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would go poking around NIST.

Frabjous said:
I would go poking around NIST.
Thanks for replying.

Actually I managed to have access to NIST-REFPROP. Is there any other possible sources of data?

Bystander said:
Um... I did this already :oldfrown:

In my end, I found (and purchased) this program from doing what you mentioned:
1690438418793.png

My fundamental issue is that it seems to lack information regarding most alcohols (other than methanol and ethanol), and most acids as well (not even acetic acid). That's why I was asking if someone knows other possible sources of thermodynamic information other than this and the Perry Handbook.

Likes berkeman

Related to Tabulation of physical and chemical data

What is the importance of tabulating physical and chemical data?

Tabulating physical and chemical data is crucial for organizing information in a structured manner, making it easier for scientists and researchers to analyze, compare, and reference the data. It helps in identifying trends, validating theories, and ensuring accurate communication of scientific findings.

How do you ensure the accuracy of the data being tabulated?

To ensure the accuracy of the data, it is important to use reliable and validated sources, perform repeated measurements or experiments, and cross-check the data with existing literature. Peer review and calibration of instruments also play a significant role in maintaining data accuracy.

What types of data are typically included in physical and chemical data tables?

Physical and chemical data tables typically include information such as boiling points, melting points, densities, solubilities, molecular weights, specific heat capacities, refractive indices, and other relevant properties of substances. These tables may also include reaction rates, equilibrium constants, and thermodynamic data.

How can tabulated data be used in scientific research?

Tabulated data can be used in scientific research to support hypothesis testing, model development, and simulations. It allows researchers to quickly access and compare key properties of substances, facilitating the design of experiments and the interpretation of results. Additionally, it aids in the development of new materials and compounds by providing essential reference points.

What are the common formats for presenting tabulated physical and chemical data?

Common formats for presenting tabulated physical and chemical data include spreadsheets, charts, and tables in scientific publications. Data can also be presented in databases and digital repositories, which allow for easy searching, sorting, and retrieval. These formats ensure that the data is accessible and usable for various applications in research and industry.