Take Foreign Language or a less time-consuming humanities elective?

• Thread starter nickadams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, at the speaker's school, students are required to take either 6 hours of "foreign culture" class or 6 hours of a foreign language. They are seeking advice on which option to choose, as the foreign culture classes are less time-consuming, but they are also interested in learning a second language. Another person suggests that learning a language in a purely academic setting may not be as effective, and the speaker mentions having an open slot in their schedule each semester. They are asking for suggestions on what non-math class to take each semester.
nickadams
at my school students need to take either 6 hours of "foreign culture" class or 6 hours of a foreign language.

Which do you think I should do? The foreign culture classes are way less time-consuming but I thought it would be interesting to learn a second language.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can learn a language in any meaningful way in a purely academic setting, it is a lot more effort than that.

Woopydalan said:
I don't think you can learn a language in any meaningful way in a purely academic setting, it is a lot more effort than that.

Well since I don't want to take 4 math classes at a time, I have an open slot in my scheudle each semester so I thought foreign language would be an interesting way to fill it.

What non-math class do you guys think I should take each semester?

Last edited:
Well if your math classes take up a lot of time, take whatever is the least amount of effort for a non-major class in my opinion.

I believe that both options have their own benefits and it ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals.

If you have a specific interest in a particular foreign culture and want to gain a deeper understanding of it, then taking the foreign culture class may be the best option for you. It may also be less time-consuming, giving you more flexibility to focus on your other academic courses and extracurricular activities.

On the other hand, learning a second language can be a valuable skill, both personally and professionally. It can open up opportunities for international collaboration and communication, and it can also improve cognitive skills such as problem-solving and critical thinking. However, it may require more time and effort to become proficient in a new language.

I would recommend considering your long-term goals and interests when making this decision. If you have a specific career path in mind that would benefit from knowing a second language, then it may be worth the investment of time and effort. However, if you are more interested in gaining a broad understanding of different cultures, then the foreign culture class may be a better fit for you. Ultimately, the important thing is to choose the option that you are most passionate about and will be motivated to dedicate time and effort towards.

Related to Take Foreign Language or a less time-consuming humanities elective?

1. Why should I take a foreign language?

Learning a foreign language can have numerous benefits such as improving your communication skills, expanding your job opportunities, and gaining a better understanding of different cultures. It can also enhance your cognitive abilities and make you a more well-rounded individual.

2. How will taking a foreign language benefit me in my career?

In today's globalized world, knowing a second language can make you a more desirable candidate for many job positions. It can also open doors for you to work or study abroad and connect with people from different backgrounds. Additionally, being bilingual or multilingual can increase your salary potential in various industries.

3. Will taking a foreign language be too time-consuming?

The time commitment for learning a foreign language will depend on your personal dedication and the level of proficiency you wish to achieve. However, many language courses offer flexible schedules and online options, making it possible to fit into a busy lifestyle. Additionally, the benefits of learning a new language often outweigh the time investment.

4. Can I take a less time-consuming humanities elective instead of a foreign language?

While it is ultimately up to your academic requirements and personal interests, taking a foreign language can be a valuable addition to your education. Many humanities electives also require a significant time commitment, so it is essential to consider the workload and your goals when choosing electives.

5. Is it too late to start learning a foreign language?

It is never too late to learn a new language! While it may be easier to learn a language at a younger age, adults have the advantage of being able to approach language learning with more developed cognitive skills. With dedication and consistent practice, anyone can learn a foreign language at any age.