Taking java learning to the next level

• Other
  • Thread starter Arnoldjavs3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the speaker is a part-time CS student who is using The University of Helsinki's free CS course to learn java. They are looking to increase their daily practice time from 30 minutes to 2-3 hours and are seeking recommendations for beginner-intermediate level resources. They also have a goal of releasing their own phone app for android by the upcoming summer.
Arnoldjavs3
Hi, I'm currently a Part time CS student that is looking to further advance his java learning. Right now I'm using The University of Helsinki's free CS course to learn java(my own university's course pales in comparison to this resource...) however I'd like to define my path further.

I spend around 30 minutes a day playing with java through the course mentioned above. I'd like to take this up to maybe 2-3 hours per day because I'm really starting to enjoy java. With that being said, I'd like to take in recommendations of what people think would be good for beginner-intermediate levels. I understand that making my own projects is clearly the best way to learn, but having references around would be nice. I'd like to be able to release my own phone app for android by this upcoming summer if that sounds realistic!

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to work through Project Euler!

Related to Taking java learning to the next level

1. What are some advanced concepts in Java that I should focus on to take my learning to the next level?

Some advanced concepts in Java that can take your learning to the next level include Generics, Multithreading, Collections Framework, Java I/O, and Exception Handling. These concepts require a deeper understanding of Java and can help you write more efficient and robust code.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Java?

To improve your problem-solving skills in Java, it is important to practice regularly by solving coding challenges and participating in coding competitions. You can also try to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable tasks, and use tools like debugging to identify and fix errors in your code.

3. Are there any online resources or courses that can help me advance my knowledge in Java?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available that can help you take your Java learning to the next level. Some popular options include online courses on platforms like Coursera and Udemy, Java tutorials and documentation on Oracle's website, and coding challenges on websites like HackerRank and CodeWars.

4. What are some best practices for writing efficient and maintainable code in Java?

Some best practices for writing efficient and maintainable code in Java include following coding conventions and standards, using meaningful variable and method names, writing modular and reusable code, and regularly testing and debugging your code. It is also important to stay updated with the latest Java releases and use efficient data structures and algorithms.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of Java to real-world projects?

The best way to apply your knowledge of Java to real-world projects is by building projects on your own or participating in open-source projects. This will give you hands-on experience and help you understand how Java is used in real-world scenarios. You can also consider doing internships or taking up freelance projects to gain practical experience in Java development.