Taking Notes in Physics: Finding the Right Notebook

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods of taking notes for physics classes and the types of notebooks used. Some prefer using a binder with looseleaf paper, while others find using a notebook easier to organize. The person mentions their preference for Spirax notebooks, which are neutral in color. Another person uses engineering paper and stores their notes in binders. The conversation also mentions the use of different types of engineering paper, such as graph paper and polar graph. Some prefer composition notebooks, while others use cheap brand notebooks during back to school sales. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a specific type of engineering paper that is affordable and durable.
glueball8
How do you take notes for physics classes and what note books(Brand) do you use?

Before I just to take notes on line paper and put the notes into a binder, but now I found taking notes in a notebook easier to organize(and harder to skip class). I'm trying to find some good quality notebooks but their all flashy(girly)...

Physics news on Phys.org
What's wrong with girly notebooks?? I think they're great!

Haha. We have Spirax notebooks in Australia, they are yellow, and pretty much neutral IMO. I prefer them to a binder w/ looseleaf, it keeps my notes in order, and it's small / light that I don't have to lug around a few kilo's of paper just for one class, like I did when I had a big binder with everything in it.

I use engineering paper for all of my notes and store them in binders.

jhae2.718 said:
I use engineering paper for all of my notes and store them in binders.

What engineering paper are we talking about? I have seen graph paper style and even polar graph. I like composition notebooks myself, but they cost about $5 each for ones that won't fall apart at the seam and I can fill one in 2 weeks!

I use cheap, CVS/ target brand notebooks. They generally have about 70-100 pages of college ruled paper. During the back to school sales I can get them for less than a dollar each, sometimes even around 50 cents.

Engineering paper is the way to go, with either 5mm or 7mm mechanical lead pencil and a big fat synthetic Staedler eraser!

Here, QuarkCharmer: http://www.tvisupply.com/ENGINEER-S-COMP-PAD-3HP-SQ-IN-p/P335500.htm

Less than $4. Difficult to beat, and I loved using it for everything so I could yank out my doodling without some notebook falling apart.

Related to Taking Notes in Physics: Finding the Right Notebook

What type of notebook should I use for taking physics notes?

It is recommended to use a notebook with graph paper or grid lines for taking physics notes. This will help with drawing diagrams and writing equations neatly.

Is it better to take notes by hand or use a laptop?

Many students find that taking notes by hand helps them better understand and retain the material. However, if you are more comfortable with using a laptop or other electronic device, that can also be a good option.

Should I write down everything the professor says during lectures?

No, it is not necessary to write down everything the professor says. Instead, focus on understanding the main concepts and writing down key points, examples, and explanations that will help you study and review later.

How should I organize my notes?

Organizing your notes in a clear and logical manner can make studying and reviewing much easier. You can use headings, bullet points, and diagrams to organize your notes by topic, subtopic, and key points.

How can I make my notes more effective?

Some tips for making your notes more effective include using different colors for different topics or key terms, leaving space for additional notes or questions, and summarizing key points in your own words.