Taking Square Roots: Evaluating k^2 in Math

In summary, the conversation discussed the evaluation of the expression \sqrt{k^2} and whether it should be written as |k| or just k. The professor argued that it should be written as |k| to account for both positive and negative square roots, while the students questioned the necessity of this notation. Ultimately, it was concluded that while it may not make a difference in simpler examples, it is important to use the absolute value notation in more complex situations.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Okay, before I start my discussion, note that [itex] k \in \mathbb{R} [/itex]

Edit: for anyone reading this right now, I accidentally hit 'submit post' instead of 'preview', so please ignore the thread until it has some content!

Okay, here is the content. In my prof's notes, he is evaluating:

[tex] \sqrt{k^2} [/tex]

and he writes:

[tex] \sqrt{k^2} = |k| [/tex]

I can understand that, because the square root sign denotes the positive square root, so in order to ensure the result is positive without making any assumptions about the intrinsic sign of k, you'd have to take its absolute value. I understand it, but it still caught me off guard! Maybe I'm just forgetting basic stuff, but I usually blindly write:

[tex] \sqrt{k^2} = k [/tex]

without even thinking about it. So here I am in university, taking complex analysis, and being confused by a stupid little thing like this. In this case, it's causing me even more confusion because it doesn't seem to immediately make a difference. He's actually solving a differential equation, and in this step he is solving the characteristic equation for a variable r using the quadratic formula to obtain this result:

[tex] r = -1 \pm \sqrt{-k^2} = -1 \pm i\sqrt{k^2} = -1 \pm i|k| [/tex]

That is pretty much what he has written. But the thing is, why should I even care about it? We're not just taking the positive square root. The quadratic formula accounts for both positive and negative square roots. To me, writing this:

[tex] r = -1 \pm i|k| [/tex]

seems silly because there is already a plus or minus, and the expression evaluates to:

[tex] r = -1 \pm ik [/tex] if k > 0

[tex] r = -1 \mp ik [/tex] if k < 0

so logically this covers all the bases no matter the sign of k! Regardless of whether k equals +3 or -3, I will end up with r = -1 +/- 3i

So...why can't I just write the result as:

[tex] r = -1 \pm ik [/tex]

and be done with it?

YET, it DOES make a difference to the solution of the D.E. later on whether you write k or |k|. So, strictly speaking, is |k| the ONLY correct answer to [itex] \sqrt{k^2} [/itex] when [itex] -\infty < k < \infty [/itex]?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Something just occurred to me: one possible simple answer to my question is YES, you have to write the answer as |k|, because square root of k squared is a specific case of a more general formula for a complex number:

[tex] |z| = \sqrt{[Re(z)]^2 + [Im(z)]^2 [/tex]

So for the specific case of [itex] z = k \in \mathbb{R} [/itex] meaning Im[z] = 0, we get:

[tex] |z| = |k| = \sqrt{[Re(z)]^2} = \sqrt{k^2} [/tex]

And that settles it. Okay, I'm feeling pretty stupid now. Do you guys agree I've just answered my own question?

It has to be the absolute value yes, since we defined the (real) function of the square root (k was real here, right?) as a positive number. Take k = -4, then sqrt((-4)²) = sqrt(16) = 4 and not -4, so it was |-4| = 4.

I think this discussion is a very confusing way of looking at this question. Cepheid's professor has taken an approach which is very troublesome. Specifically, there are two square roots to any number. When we write the solution of the quadratic equation with +-, we are emphasizing the fact that we must use both square roots. k2 has two square roots, k and -k, whether or not k is positive or negative. In case k is complex, |k| would be wrong!

mathman said:
I think this discussion is a very confusing way of looking at this question. Cepheid's professor has taken an approach which is very troublesome. Specifically, there are two square roots to any number. When we write the solution of the quadratic equation with +-, we are emphasizing the fact that we must use both square roots. k2 has two square roots, k and -k, whether or not k is positive or negative. In case k is complex, |k| would be wrong!

"Specifically, there are two square roots to any number."

No, there aren't. Notice that the professor wrote |k| because k (and so k2)was a real number. That distinction is important. If one were dealing with a differential equation with complex coefficients, then one could argue that we have to deal with "multi-valued" square roots as well as other functions. But this was clearly a differential equation with real coefficients and so the professor was carefully distinguishing between the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. That is, except for the "i" itself, he was working with real numbers. And any positive real number has, by definition, only one square root.

And any positive real number has, by definition, only one square root.

Here is where I strongly disagree. You can define it that way if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that (-2)2=(2)2=4, so that the square root of 4 has two values 2 or -2.

The square root function has exactly one value for any given non-negative real number. By definition, that value is the non-negative square root. I know, this is being a bit anal.

For the simple example in the original post, the answer doesn't depend on whether you put the absolute value in. However, in more complicated examples, it makes a difference, as the OP figured out. So it pays to be anal, sometimes.

mathman said:
Here is where I strongly disagree. You can define it that way if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that (-2)2=(2)2=4, so that the square root of 4 has two values 2 or -2.

If you were asked for the solutions to x2= 3, would you write
[itex]x= \pm\sqrt{3}[/itex] or just [itex]x= \sqrt{3}[/itex]?

If you really believed that every number has two square roots, then you would have to say that the latter is the only correct answer since [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] indicates both.

I thought that every positive real number has two square roots and that the square root sign indicates the positive square root.

Nimz said:
The square root function has exactly one value for any given non-negative real number. By definition, that value is the non-negative square root.

To get the negative root, it is simply a matter of multiplying the positive root by -1, but only the positive root is THE square root. For the square root relation to be considered a function, it must be one-to-one (pass the vertical line test, loosely speaking). By convention, we take the positive root rather than the negative one to define the square root function.

FAQ: Taking Square Roots: Evaluating k^2 in Math

What is the definition of taking square roots in math?

Taking square roots in math is the process of finding a number that when multiplied by itself, will result in the given number. It is the inverse operation of squaring a number.

How do you evaluate k^2 in math?

To evaluate k^2, you simply need to multiply k by itself. For example, if k=3, then k^2=3*3=9.

What are the properties of taking square roots in math?

There are two main properties of taking square roots in math: the product property and the quotient property. The product property states that the square root of a product is equal to the product of the square roots of each factor. The quotient property states that the square root of a quotient is equal to the quotient of the square roots of the numerator and denominator.

What is the difference between taking square roots and finding the square root?

Taking square roots is the process of finding a number that when multiplied by itself, will result in the given number. Finding the square root is simply the result of taking the square root. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, so taking the square root of 9 is the process of finding the number 3.

What are some real-life applications of taking square roots in math?

Taking square roots has many real-life applications, such as calculating the area of a square or rectangle, finding the side length of a square or rectangle given its area, and solving quadratic equations in physics and engineering.