Taking the Fourier Transform of a potential

In summary, the authors of the paper on renormalisation theory introduce an ultraviolet cutoff into the Coulomb potential through its Fourier transform. This leads to the transformation of the potential from ## \frac{1}{r} ## to ## \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} ##. The form of the cutoff was chosen for mathematical convenience and the ultimate goal is for the potential to go to zero above a certain finite momentum scale. The details of the Fourier transform can be worked out using spherical coordinates.
spaghetti3451
Hi, I've been reading a paper on renormalisation theory as applied to a simple one-particle Coulombic system with a short-range potential.

In the process of renormalisation, the authors introduce an ultraviolet cutoff into the Coulomb potential through its Fourier transform:

## \frac{1}{r} \xrightarrow{\text{F.T.}} \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} \xrightarrow{\text{cutoff}} \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} e^{-q^{2}a^{2}/2} \xrightarrow{\text{F.T.}} \frac{erf(r/\sqrt{2}a)}{r} ##

I don't understand how ## \frac{1}{r} ## becomes ## \frac{4\pi}{q^2} ## when Fourier transformed.

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
I don't understand how ## \frac{1}{r} ## becomes ## \frac{4\pi}{q^2} ## when Fourier transformed.
That's just a standard 3D Fourier transform. You can perform the 3D Fourier transform in maybe 3-4 lines by changing the cartesian integration variables to spherical polar.

(If you need more detail, you should probably post this in one of the homework forums.)

I see.

It won't be necessary to post this on the homework forums as I can work out the details of the Fourier transforming by myself, I think.

I'm wondering, though, how the form of the cutoff was actually achieved. I understand that the cutoff scale length was arbitrary, but

## \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} \xrightarrow{\text{cutoff}} \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} e^{-q^{2}a^{2}/2} ##

essentially means that

## q \xrightarrow{\text{cutoff}} qe^-frac{qa}{sqrt(2)} ##

Last edited:
I'd like to know this as well, is there a specific reason a gaussian was chosen?
Other than, you know because an elementary inverse Fourier transform exists.

failexam said:
I'm wondering, though, how the form of the cutoff was actually achieved.

Without seeing this paper, probably the form of the cutoff is just chosen to be mathematically convenient. There's a great deal of freedom in choosing the form of the cutoff, because the whole point of renormalization theory is that physical results end up being independent of the cutoff.

failexam said:
## \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} \xrightarrow{\text{cutoff}} \frac{4\pi}{q^{2}} e^{-q^{2}a^{2}/2} ##

essentially means that

## q \xrightarrow{\text{cutoff}} qe^-frac{qa}{sqrt(2)} ##

You shouldn't think of this procedure as modifying q; we're modifying the potential. We just want to make the potential go to zero above some given finite momentum scale.

Well' let's see. The Fourier transform is
[tex]F(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{q} \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \frac{4 \pi}{\vec{q}^2} \exp(-\vec{q}^2 a^2/2+\mathrm{i} \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x}).[/tex]
Introducing spherical coordinates with the polar axis in direction of ##x## leads to
[tex]F(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} q \int_{-1}^{1} \mathrm{d} u \exp(-q^2 a^2/2+\mathrm{i} r q u)=\frac{2}{\pi r} \int_0^{\infty} \mathrm{d} q \exp(-\vec{q}^2 a^2/2)\frac{\sin(q r)}{q}.[/tex]
The latter integral gives indeed the desired result (according to Mathematica):
[tex]F(\vec{x})=F(r)=\frac{1}{r} \mathrm{erf} \left (\frac{r}{\sqrt{2} a} \right ).[/tex]

Related to Taking the Fourier Transform of a potential

What is the Fourier Transform of a potential?

The Fourier Transform of a potential is a mathematical tool used to analyze the frequency components of a potential function. It decomposes the potential function into its constituent frequency components, which can provide valuable information about the behavior and properties of the potential.

Why is it important to take the Fourier Transform of a potential?

Taking the Fourier Transform of a potential allows for a more detailed understanding of the potential function. It can reveal hidden patterns or characteristics of the potential that may not be apparent in its original form. This information can be useful in various fields, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and image processing.

What types of potentials can be Fourier transformed?

The Fourier Transform can be applied to any potential function that is finite and well-behaved. This includes functions with continuous and discontinuous derivatives, as well as complex-valued potentials.

How is the Fourier Transform of a potential calculated?

The Fourier Transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves integration and complex numbers. This formula essentially converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to its frequency domain.

What are some applications of the Fourier Transform of a potential?

The Fourier Transform of a potential has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include analyzing signals in electrical circuits, filtering noise from images, and solving differential equations in quantum mechanics.