Tangent Line Equation for Ellipse: Parametric Equations at (1,2,2)

That is the parametric equation for the tangent line. In summary, to find the parametric equations for the tangent line to the ellipse created by the intersection of the ellipsoid 4x^2 + 2y^2 + z^2 = 16 and the plane y = 2 at the point (1,2,2), first set y=2 in the ellipsoid equation and solve for x and z. Then use x= t and z= at+ b as the parametric equations for the tangent line, with y=2 as a constant.
mattibo

Homework Statement

The ellipsoid 4x^2 + 2y^2 + z^2 = 16 intersects the plane y = 2 in an ellipse. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to this ellipse at the point (1,2,2)

Homework Equations

x = x0 + at
y = y0 + bt
z = z0 + ct

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that x0,y0 and z0 are given by the point(1,2,2) and that's pretty much it. I don't know how to use the information given in the first part of the question.
I put y=2 in the ellipsoid equation and got 4x^2 + z^2 = 8. Now what?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattibo said:

Homework Statement

The ellipsoid 4x^2 + 2y^2 + z^2 = 16 intersects the plane y = 2 in an ellipse. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to this ellipse at the point (1,2,2)

Homework Equations

x = x0 + at
y = y0 + bt
z = z0 + ct

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i know that x0,y0 and z0 are given by the point(1,2,2) and that's pretty much it. I don't know how to use the information given in the first part of the question.
I put y=2 in the ellipsoid equation and got 4x^2 + z^2 = 8. Now what?
Great! Now find a tangent line to that ellipse at x= 1, z= 2. What that will give you will probably be something line z= ax+ b. Okay, let x= t, the parameter. x= t, z= at+ b and, of course, y= 2.

FAQ: Tangent Line Equation for Ellipse: Parametric Equations at (1,2,2)

1. What is the Tangent Line Equation?

The Tangent Line Equation is an equation that represents a straight line that touches a curve at a single point, known as the tangent point. It is used to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point and can be used to approximate the curve near that point.

2. How is the Tangent Line Equation calculated?

The Tangent Line Equation is calculated using the derivative of the curve at the given point. The derivative represents the slope of the curve at that point, which is then used with the point's coordinates to form the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the significance of the Tangent Line Equation?

The Tangent Line Equation is significant because it allows us to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the curve. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, to approximate the behavior of a curve at a certain point.

4. Can the Tangent Line Equation be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the Tangent Line Equation can be used for any type of curve, as long as the curve is differentiable at the given point. This means that the curve must have a well-defined slope at that point, which can be found using the derivative and used to calculate the equation of the tangent line.

5. How is the Tangent Line Equation used in real-world applications?

The Tangent Line Equation is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to determine the instantaneous rate of change of a variable, which can provide valuable information for predicting and analyzing various phenomena. For example, in physics, the Tangent Line Equation is used to determine the velocity of an object at a specific point on its trajectory.