Tangent line of curve of intersection

In summary, the student is trying to find the curve of intersection of a paraboloid and an ellipsoid. They have found the equation for the line tangent to the curve of intersection and found the gradient vector. However, they are unsure of how to convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates and get the correct answer.
AvalonX

Homework Statement

Find the parametric equations of the line tangent to the curve of intersection of the paraboloid
z = x² + y² and the ellipsoid 4x² + y² + z² = 9 at the point ( -1, 1, 2 ).

Homework Equations

Probable use of the gradient vector (as this is the chapter we are in)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found what I believe to be the curve of intersection by setting the equations of the surfaces equal to each other:

x² + y² - z = 4x² + y² + z² - 9
9 = 3x² + z² + z
F(x,y,z) = 3x² + z² + z - 9 (as a function)

And the corresponding gradient vector:
< 6x, 0, 2z + 1 >

But I cannot figure out how to convert this from cartesian to polar (or if I even need to) and get the correct answer. I've tried several paths (i.e. substituting x=rcosσ) but my answer never matches the expected answer, which contains no trigonometry. Does the correct approach involve substituting x² + y² for z? This seems to be the most logical approach but I haven't been able to apply it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear to me why you want the tangent line in polar coordinates. The text seems only to call for a parametric line, eg. [itex]\bar{r} = \bar{k} t +\bar{r}_0[/itex].

Your right! I was thinking of a vector equation. Then I suppose the parametric equations would look something like: x = -1 +3t², y = 1, z = 3 + t² ? But that still doesn't contain the expected y component, I must be doing something wrong yet.

A line parametric in, say, t should be linear in t, otherwise its not a line. Think about which point the line passes through and what vector direction it "follows" from that point as t varies.

I remember why I wanted the vector equation. The only way I can think to find the tangent line is by taking the derivative of a vector equation.

Never mind. By crossing the gradients I found the tangent vector. This makes perfect sense, it was so simple :D :D

FAQ: Tangent line of curve of intersection

1. What is a tangent line of a curve of intersection?

A tangent line of a curve of intersection is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point, and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that particular point.

2. How is the tangent line of a curve of intersection calculated?

The tangent line of a curve of intersection can be calculated by finding the derivative of the curve at the point of intersection, and then using the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. What information can be determined from the tangent line of a curve of intersection?

The tangent line of a curve of intersection can provide information such as the slope and rate of change of the curve at a specific point, as well as the direction of the curve at that point.

4. Why is the tangent line of a curve of intersection important in mathematics?

The tangent line of a curve of intersection is important in mathematics because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of curves, as well as make predictions about their values at different points. It is also a key concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications.

5. Can a curve have more than one tangent line at a point of intersection?

No, a curve can only have one tangent line at a point of intersection. This is because the tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point, and there cannot be multiple instantaneous rates of change at the same point.