Tangent Lines of Parametric Equations

In summary: Hence the result.In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the equation of a tangent line for a given parametric equation, both in rectangular and parametric modes. The process involves finding dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2, which can be derived using the chain rule and the quotient rule.
Feldoh
My book really doesn't go into a lot of depth but I was wondering if this is correct

If we are asked to find the tangent line of a specific value of t for a given parametric equation then we can find the equation of the tangent line in either rectangular or parametric functions.

Rectangular Mode
We need dy/dx and the point at the specific t value, say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex] is our point.
The tangent line is:

[tex]y-y_o = \frac{dy}{dx}(x-x_o)[/tex]

Parametric Mode
We need dy/dt, dx/dt, and the point at the specific t value, once again say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex].

[tex]x(t) = \frac{dx}{dt}t+x_o[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = \frac{dy}{dt}t+y_o[/tex]

Is that correct?

Also could someone explain how we derive dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Feldoh said:
My book really doesn't go into a lot of depth but I was wondering if this is correct

If we are asked to find the tangent line of a specific value of t for a given parametric equation then we can find the equation of the tangent line in either rectangular or parametric functions.

Rectangular Mode
We need dy/dx and the point at the specific t value, say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex] is our point.
The tangent line is:

[tex]y-y_o = \frac{dy}{dx}(x-x_o)[/tex]

Parametric Mode
We need dy/dt, dx/dt, and the point at the specific t value, once again say [itex](x_o,y_o)[/itex].

[tex]x(t) = \frac{dx}{dt}t+x_o[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = \frac{dy}{dt}t+y_o[/tex]

Is that correct?
Yes.
Also could someone explain how we derive dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2?
From the slope of the function to which the tangent line is tangent at (x_0, y_0).

Ok, thanks^^

EnumaElish said:
Yes.From the slope of the function to which the tangent line is tangent at (x_0, y_0).

I should be more specific:

My text gives this definition for dy/dx

"The Chain Rule states that the derivative dy/dx for the parametric curve is the ratio of dy/dt to dx/dt." But I cannot see where they got that from. They then go on to say "d^2y/dx^2 can be derived in the same manner". Could you explain it a little more, I'm a bit confused? >.>

Let D be the partial derivative operator.

If y(t) = f(x(t)), or with some abuse of notation y(t) = y(x(t)), how do you write Dy/Dt?

Feldoh said:
Ok, thanks^^

I should be more specific:

My text gives this definition for dy/dx

"The Chain Rule states that the derivative dy/dx for the parametric curve is the ratio of dy/dt to dx/dt." But I cannot see where they got that from. They then go on to say "d^2y/dx^2 can be derived in the same manner". Could you explain it a little more, I'm a bit confused? >.>
The chain rule. dy/dx= dy/dt dt/dx= (dy/dt)/(dx/dt). Saying "d^2y/dx^2 can be derived n the same manner" is little misleading- it's much more complicated. Notice tha they don't give that formula!

d^2y/dx^2= d(dy/dx)/dx= (1/(dx/dt)) d((dy/dt)/(dx/dt))/dt and you have to use the quotient rule for the last part.

EnumaElish said:
Let D be the partial derivative operator.

If y(t) = f(x(t)), or with some abuse of notation y(t) = y(x(t)), how do you write Dy/Dt?

Ah seeing y(t) = f(x(t)) makes it clear to me

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx}*\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Which we rearrange to get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}[/tex]

Related to Tangent Lines of Parametric Equations

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that represent a curve or surface by using one or more independent variables called parameters. They are commonly used to represent complex curves or surfaces that cannot be easily described by traditional equations.

2. What is the tangent line of a parametric equation?

The tangent line of a parametric equation is a line that touches the curve at a specific point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

3. How do you find the tangent line of a parametric equation?

To find the tangent line of a parametric equation, you first need to find the derivative of the parametric equations with respect to the parameter. Then, you can plug in the value of the parameter at the desired point to find the slope of the tangent line. Finally, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

4. What is the significance of the tangent line in parametric equations?

The tangent line has several important applications in parametric equations. It can be used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a curve, to approximate the behavior of the curve at a specific point, and to determine the direction of motion of a moving object represented by the parametric equations.

5. Can a parametric equation have multiple tangent lines at a single point?

Yes, a parametric equation can have multiple tangent lines at a single point. This can occur when the curve has a sharp point or a cusp at that point. In these cases, the derivative of the parametric equations may be undefined or have multiple values, resulting in multiple tangent lines.