Tangent lines of trigonometric functions

In summary, Petrus showed that sec(x) does not give him much information, so he rewrote it as 1/cos(x). He then found the slope, which is 2*sqrt(3) and solved for y.
Petrus
Hello,
I got problem with A homework
"find an equation of the tangent line to curve at the given point.
$y=sec(x)$. $(pi/3,2)$
progress:
$y'=sec(x)tan(x)$. So basicly that sec(x) don't say me much so i rewrite it as $1/cos(x)$
$y'=1/cos(x)•tan(x)$ now i can put $pi/3$ on the function to calculate the slope.
i get that the slope is $m=2•sqrt(3)$ and now we use the tangent equation $y-y1=m(x-x1)$
So we got $y-2=2sqrt(3)(x-pi/3)$ and i basicly answer $y=2sqrt(3)(x-pi/3)+2$
Is this correct? I am sure i am thinking correct but not 100%

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Tangent of trigonometric functions

Yes, you are correct! (Clapping) I assume your last expression was

$$y = 2 \sqrt{3} \left( x - \frac{\pi}{3} \right) +2.$$

Fantini said:
Yes, you are correct! (Clapping) I assume your last expression was

$$y = 2 \sqrt{3} \left( x - \frac{\pi}{3} \right) +2.$$
Yes:) Thanks for the fast responed!:)

You are welcome! Keep on the right track, focusing on the concepts. (Yes)

Petrus said:
Hello,
I got problem with A homework
"find an equation of the tangent line to curve at the given point.
$y=sec(x)$. $(pi/3,2)$
progress:
$y'=sec(x)tan(x)$. So basicly that sec(x) don't say me much so i rewrite it as $1/cos(x)$
$y'=1/cos(x)•tan(x)$ now i can put $pi/3$ on the function to calculate the slope.
i get that the slope is $m=2•sqrt(3)$ and now we use the tangent equation $y-y1=m(x-x1)$
So we got $y-2=2sqrt(3)(x-pi/3)$ and i basicly answer $y=2sqrt(3)(x-pi/3)+2$
Is this correct? I am sure i am thinking correct but not 100%

Hello Petrus,

Great job in presenting the problem and showing your progress! This is what we like to see.

In order to help you improve the look of your presentation, I want to offer you some tips on using $\LaTeX$.

For trigonometric (or other) functions precede them with a backslash, e.g.:

y=\sec(x) will produce $y=\sec(x)$

For special characters like the symbol for the Greek letter pi, precede this also with a backslash:

\pi will produce $\pi$

To express a fraction, use the \frac{}{} command:

\frac{\pi}{3} will produce $\frac{\pi}{3}$

To make the fraction larger, use either of the following:

\dfrac{\pi}{3} will produce $\dfrac{\pi}{3}$

\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{3} will produce $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{3}$

Using \displaystyle will make all fractions, integrals, sums, etc. look better in your entire expression.

To enclose a composite expression containing "tall" expressions within parentheses, use \left( \right) and the parentheses will be automatically generated to be tall enough to enclose the expression:

\displaystyle \left(\frac{\pi}{3},2 \right) will produce $\displaystyle \left(\frac{\pi}{3},2 \right)$

To produce the "dot" multiplication symbol use the command \cdot, for example:

\displaystyle y'=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}\cdot\tan(x) will produce $\displaystyle y'=\frac{1}{\cos(x)}\cdot\tan(x)$

To produce the square root symbol, use the command \sqrt{}, e.g.:

m=2\cdot\sqrt{3} will produce $m=2\cdot\sqrt{3}$

To use subscripts, use the underscore character, for example:

y-y_1=m(x-x_1) will produce $y-y_1=m(x-x_1)$

As a last note, if you see a nice expression written in $\LaTeX$ by someone else, and you wish to see the code they have used, right-click on the expression, and on the pop-up menu, choose Show Math As and TeX Commands and a window will pop up showing you the commands used to produce the expression.

Happy TeXing! (Yes)

FAQ: Tangent lines of trigonometric functions

1. What is a tangent line of a trigonometric function?

A tangent line of a trigonometric function is a straight line that touches the curve of a trigonometric function at a single point. It represents the slope of the curve at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line to a trigonometric function?

To find the equation of a tangent line to a trigonometric function, you first need to find the derivative of the function. Then, plug in the x-value of the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

3. What is the relationship between the slope of a tangent line and the derivative of a trigonometric function?

The slope of a tangent line is equal to the value of the derivative of the trigonometric function at the point of tangency. In other words, the derivative gives us the slope of the tangent line at any given point on the curve.

4. Can there be more than one tangent line to a trigonometric function at a single point?

No, there can only be one tangent line to a trigonometric function at a single point. This is because a tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point, and there can only be one instantaneous rate of change at a given point.

5. How can tangent lines be used in real-world applications?

Tangent lines are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics to calculate instantaneous velocity and acceleration, in engineering to design optimal curves, and in economics to find the marginal cost and revenue of a production process.

Back