Tangent plane and normal vector

In summary, a tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at one point, without crossing or intersecting it. It is different from a normal plane in that it only touches the curved surface at one point, while a normal plane crosses it at multiple points. The equation for a tangent plane is given by z = f(x,y), where f(x,y) is the function that defines the curved surface at the point of tangency. A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a given point and is used to represent the direction of the surface's normal or perpendicular line. The normal vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane and points in the direction of the surface's normal or perpendicular line at the point of tang
Dustinsfl
Graphics3D[Sphere[{0, 0, 0}]]

How do I add a tangent plane and normal vector to this plot?

I am not opposed to Matlab or Latex either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Graphics3D[Sphere[{0, 0, 0}]]

How do I add a tangent plane and normal vector to this plot?

I am not opposed to Matlab or Latex either.

Hi dwsmith, :)

I haven't done this nor do I use Matlab, but I found >>this<< which may help you to construct a tangent plane to any given surface. For surface norms refer >>this<<.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Tangent plane and normal vector

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a curved surface at one point, without crossing or intersecting it.

2. How is a tangent plane different from a normal plane?

A tangent plane is a subset of a normal plane, but it only touches the curved surface at one point, whereas a normal plane crosses the curved surface at multiple points.

3. What is the equation for a tangent plane?

The equation for a tangent plane is given by z = f(x,y), where f(x,y) is the function that defines the curved surface at the point of tangency.

4. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface at a given point. It is used to represent the direction of the surface's normal or perpendicular line.

5. How is the normal vector related to the tangent plane?

The normal vector is perpendicular to the tangent plane, and it points in the direction of the surface's normal or perpendicular line at the point of tangency.