Tangential acceleration in circular motion

In summary: Yes. Speed is not zero .Then speed is constant there right? (Because atangential = dv/dt is zero there.)But just before the particle reached the top, it was slowing down and right after it crosses the top, it speeds up... So what does it mean to say speed is constant at the top point?In summary, atan = 0 for uniform circular motion (as v is constant), but atan can be zero in non-uniform circular motion.
Adjoint
We know that the magnitude of tangential component of acceleration is,
atangential = dv/dt (where v is speed)
So clearly atan = 0 for uniform circular motion (as v is constant)

But what about non-uniform circular motion?
I can see atan = 0 only when v = constant. But in non uniform circular motion v is not constant.
Does it mean that atan can never be zero if the particle is moving in non-uniform circular motion?
(It never seems to be the case.)
Would someone please explain?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tangential acceleration is the rate of change in the magnitude of the velocity vector (eg the rate of change of speed). The normal acceleration is the rate of change of the direction of the velocity vector.

If something is in non-uniform circular motion the speed must be changing.

CWatters said:
Tangential acceleration is the rate of change in the magnitude of the velocity vector (eg the rate of change of speed).

attachment.php?attachmentid=70853&stc=1&d=1403674452.png

My confusion arises from this diagram. Why atangential = 0 at the top and at the bottom point? Isn't the magnitude of velocity changing at these two points? Why not?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    11 KB · Views: 11,198
Adjoint said:
My confusion arises from this diagram. Why atangential = 0 at the top and at the bottom point? Isn't the magnitude of velocity changing at these two points? Why not?

Is there any tangential component of force at the top and at the bottom ?

Adjoint said:
I can see atan = 0 only when v = constant. But in non uniform circular motion v is not constant.
Does it mean that atan can never be zero if the particle is moving in non-uniform circular motion?

Well, now I think I was a bit silly in asking so.
Let me rephrase my question.
In the diagram (post #3), tangential acceleration is zero at the top and the bottom. Is this because velocity is minimum and maximum at those two points?
If so, can I say that tangential acceleration is zero when the particle is at it's maximum or minimum speed?

Tanya Sharma said:
Is there any tangential component of force at the top and at the bottom ?

Thank you. I missed that point. Actually I was thinking in terms of velocity.
Still I wonder, if no tangential acceleration (hence tangential force) is acting at the top, and the particle has zero speed, why the particle simply doesn't fall down in a straight line from the top?

Adjoint said:
Still I wonder, if no tangential acceleration (hence tangential force) is acting at the top, and the particle has zero speed, why the particle simply doesn't fall down in a straight line from the top?

In case of roller coasters there is some mechanism ( eg seat belts ) to hold the person .

But if you consider a mass attached to a string undergoing vertical circular motion ,then you are right ,the mass would simply fall down.

Edit :The mass would fall down if the speed is zero at the top.

Last edited:
Did you mean fall down in a straight line?

Adjoint said:
Did you mean fall down in a straight line?

Yes.

Tanya Sharma said:
If you consider a mass attached to a string undergoing vertical circular motion, the mass would simply fall down (in a straight line).

But that doesn't happen really. Does it?
When I attach a mass with string and create a vertical circular motion by holding that string, the mass never falls down in straight line when it reaches the top, rather it keeps moving in circular path.

Adjoint said:
When I attach a mass with string and create a vertical circular motion by holding that string, the mass never falls down in straight line when it reaches the top, rather it keeps moving in circular path.

I was responding to post#7 where you were discussing the case when the speed is zero at the top .

Oh sorry.
So in this diagram, speed is not zero at the top ? (Thanks for your patience!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=70853&stc=1&d=1403674452.png

Adjoint said:
Oh sorry.
So in this diagram, speed is not zero at the top ? (Thanks for your patience!)

Yes . Speed is not zero .

Then speed is constant there right? (Because atangential = dv/dt is zero there.)
But just before the particle reached the top, it was slowing down and right after it crosses the top, it speeds up... So what does it mean to say speed is constant at the top point?

Adjoint said:

You are right. If the mass keeps on moving along the circle up to the top it will continue its circular motion.
To move along the circle, the string must be taut: the tension must be greater than zero. If the kinetic energy at the bottom of the circle is the same as the potential energy at the top , that is, the speed would be zero there, the string becomes slack earlier and then the mass will not follow the circular path.

So the speed can be zero at the top of the circle if you hold the mass there and release it.
When the mass is attached to the end of a rigid rod, it is possible to reach the top with zero speed, as the rod can exert both pulling and pushing force. The string is able to pull only.

ehild

Adjoint said:
Then speed is constant there right? (Because atangential = dv/dt is zero there.)
But just before the particle reached the top, it was slowing down and right after it crosses the top, it speeds up... So what does it mean to say speed is constant at the top point?

The speed is not constant anywhere. It has a minimum at the top.

ehild

ehild said:
The speed is not constant anywhere.
If speed is not constant anywhere (hence not at the top too) how can atangential = dv/dt = 0 at the top?
(By v I mean speed)

Adjoint said:
In the diagram (post #3), tangential acceleration is zero at the top and the bottom. Is this because velocity is minimum and maximum at those two points?
If so, can I say that tangential acceleration is zero when the particle is at it's maximum or minimum speed?

Tanya Sharma said:
No .
Yes, you can say that. These points are the local extrema of the function Vtan(t). Meaning, the first derivative(i.e., tangential acceleration) is zero at those points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxima_and_minima
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_(mathematics)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_derivative_test

Whenever a continuous function changes from increasing to decreasing, or vice versa, it will have a critical point(local maximum or minimum) there.

For example, look at a ballistic trajectory of a rock thrown into the air. Draw a function of height vs time(i.e., y(t) ). It'll be a familiar parabola. As the stone reaches the topmost point, you can see that to the left of that point(i.e., earlier) the height always increases, while to the right it always decreases. This means that the first derivative(velocity, Vy(t) ) is zero exactly at that point.

Remember that when you talk about the value of any function at one particular point, you can't say whether it is constant or not. It makes no sense to say that, as you need an interval to talk about changes. At one point, any function will have just one value.

The stone momentarily stops at the top of its trajectory, and it has 0 velocity in the y direction there, even though the velocity is never constant.

So, back to your circular motion. At the extreme points, the velocity is maximum/minimum, but to tell whether it changes or not you need to look at the whole thing.

Likes 1 person
Bandersnatch said:
Remember that when you talk about the value of any function at one particular point, you can't say whether it is constant or not. It makes no sense to say that, as you need an interval to talk about changes. At one point, any function will have just one value.

The stone momentarily stops at the top of its trajectory, and it has 0 velocity in the y direction there, even though the velocity is never constant.

α = rotational acceleration in ( rad / sec ) / sec
r = radius in metres

Tangential acceleration ( ( m / s ) /s ) = α * r

Related to Tangential acceleration in circular motion

1. What is tangential acceleration in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration in circular motion refers to the rate of change of the tangential velocity of an object moving in a circular path. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed is changing as it moves around the circle.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are two components of the overall acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. While tangential acceleration acts tangentially to the circle, changing the object's speed, centripetal acceleration acts towards the center of the circle, changing the object's direction.

3. What causes tangential acceleration in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration is caused by a force acting in the direction tangent to the circle. This force can come from various sources, such as friction, gravity, or a motor. Without this force, an object would continue to move at a constant speed in a straight line.

4. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the tangential acceleration, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. It is important to note that this formula only applies when the object's speed is changing at a constant rate.

5. What is the relationship between tangential acceleration and angular acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and angular acceleration are related through the formula a = rα, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circle, and α is the angular acceleration. This means that as the object's angular velocity (ω) increases, its tangential acceleration also increases, and vice versa.