Tangential Speed and Acceleration

In summary, a disk with a radius of 0.2 m is initially spinning counterclockwise at a rate of 45 revolutions per minute. At t = 0, a constant angular acceleration of -1.5 rad/s^2 is imparted onto the disk. The tangential speed of a point on the outer edge of the disk at t = 2 s is 0.34 m/s. The tangential acceleration at t = 2 s is -0.30 m/s^2.
TamoYamo

Homework Statement

Hello, I am a relatively new member of this website and I wanted to get some help or feedback in helping me understand how to answer these questions. If my format is poor, I am sorry because I just don't know how to use this site that well yet. Anyhow thanks for looking.

A disk with a radius of 0.2 m is initially spinning counterclockwise at a rate of 45 revolutions per minute. At t = 0, a constant angular acceleration of −1.5 rad/s^2 is imparted onto the disk.
a) What is the tangential speed of a point on the outer edge of the disk at t = 2 s?
b) What is the tangential acceleration of a point on the outer edge of the disk at t = 2 s?

Homework Equations

ωr = v
a = αr

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I started with:[/B]
45 rpm = 45rpm* (2pi/1) = 282.743rad/m
then 282.743rad/m * (1/60 seconds) = 4.71 rad/s
Since I know the radius and angular velocity, I did
4.71rad/s * .2m = .94 m/s
According to the answer my professor gave me, the answer is .34m/s. Can someone please help me explain where I went wrong? Am I suppose to associate t =2 somewhere in my answer?

For the second part, I did something similar, except I used constant acceleration (-1.5/s^2) so it went
-1.5rad/s^2 * .2 = -0.3m/s^2 but the answer was .30m/s^2. Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! You did a great job in formatting your question.

Did you find the tangential speed at the instant of time that was asked?

Your answer for the tangential acceleration is correct. Perhaps the answer given is for the magnitude of the acceleration, so they did not specify it as negative.

Thanks for taking my question and I probably didn't do that. Am I suppose to use the time "t =2 " into the equation? I assumed I didn't use the right formula to find it at t= 2 which is where I got lost at.
By the way, thanks for checking my second answer.

TamoYamo said:
Am I suppose to use the time "t =2 " into the equation?

The angular acceleration indicates the rate at which the angular velocity is changing. So, in this problem the angular velocity is changing at a rate of -1.5 rad/s2. That is, the angular velocity is changing by -1.5 rad/s every second.

Hm, I got an answer that seems close, but I don't know if I am correct.
Since the disc decelerates over time, I did
vf = .94 (from the trangential speed) + (-.3 from the acceleration from (b)*2s from the time
.94-.6 = .34 m/s
Is this right?

Yes, that is correct. However, if you want to work part (a) without first working part (b), then try to find the angular velocity at t = 2 s by considering the fact that the angular velocity is decreasing at a rate of -1.5 rad/s each second.

Thanks! I appreciate the help! I hope you enjoy the holidays!

Related to Tangential Speed and Acceleration

1. What is tangential speed?

Tangential speed is the speed at which an object moves along a circular path. It is measured as the distance traveled per unit of time along the circular path.

2. How is tangential speed different from linear speed?

Tangential speed is different from linear speed because it takes into account the circular path of an object, while linear speed only measures the speed in a straight line.

3. What is the formula for calculating tangential speed?

The formula for calculating tangential speed is tangential speed = (2πr)/t, where r is the radius of the circular path and t is the time it takes to travel along the path.

4. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential speed. It is measured as the change in tangential speed per unit of time.

5. How is tangential acceleration related to centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are related because they both contribute to the overall acceleration of an object moving along a circular path. Tangential acceleration is responsible for changes in tangential speed, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.