Tangential Speed of Passenger on 10m Radius Ferris Wheel

• Thread starter gigglin_horse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the question asks for the tangential speed of a passenger on a Ferris wheel with a radius of 10 meters and a rotational speed of once every 30 seconds. The tangential speed can be calculated by multiplying the rotational speed by the radial distance. However, the units are not specified, so the circumference and angular velocity can also be used to find the tangential velocity.
gigglin_horse

Homework Statement

I thought this would be an easy question for me, but I can't figure it out.
"What is the tangential speed of a passenger on a Ferris wheel that has a radius of 10 meters and rotates once every 30 seconds?"

Homework Equations

Tangential speed = rotational speed x radial distance

The Attempt at a Solution

Tangential speed = 2RMP x 10 meters
= 20...what units? Not m/sec, not RPM...
...But...
I figured the circumference is 62.83 meters x 2RPM = 125 meters per minute

Physics news on Phys.org
With the information that it's 2RPM, you can very easily find the angluar velocity, ω. I'd use that as a starting point to finding the tangential velocity.

That doesn't help...
thanks though

FAQ: Tangential Speed of Passenger on 10m Radius Ferris Wheel

1. What is the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel?

The tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel can be calculated using the formula v = rw, where v is the tangential speed in meters per second, r is the radius in meters, and w is the angular speed in radians per second. Assuming a standard angular speed of 2π radians per minute, the tangential speed would be approximately 62.8 meters per minute.

2. How does the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel change as they move higher or lower on the wheel?

The tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel remains the same regardless of their position on the wheel. This is because the tangential speed is dependent on the radius and angular speed, both of which remain constant throughout the ride.

3. Is the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel affected by the weight of the passenger?

No, the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel is not affected by their weight. The tangential speed is only dependent on the radius of the wheel and the angular speed, which are not affected by the weight of the passenger.

4. How does the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel compare to the linear speed?

The tangential speed and linear speed are related by the formula v = rw, where v is the tangential speed and w is the angular speed. The linear speed is the speed at which the passenger is moving in a straight line, while the tangential speed is the speed at which they are moving tangent to the circular path. The tangential speed will always be greater than the linear speed, as the passenger is traveling a greater distance along the circumference of the wheel.

5. Can the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel be changed?

Yes, the tangential speed of a passenger on a 10m radius ferris wheel can be changed by altering the angular speed of the wheel. Increasing the angular speed will increase the tangential speed, while decreasing the angular speed will decrease the tangential speed. However, the radius of the wheel will remain a constant factor in the tangential speed calculation.