Tangents of a parabola perpendicular to a line

In summary, to determine the equation of the tangent to the parabola y = 3x^2 - 7x + 5, one can use any of the following sets of parameters: (i) y = mx + c, (ii) ax + by + c = 0, or (iii) (x1, y1) as the point where the tangent touches the parabola. It may be helpful to try different sets and switch if one gets stuck.
phyico
A Tangent to the parabola y = 3x^2 - 7x + 5 is perpendicular to x + 5y - 10 = 0

Determine the equation of the tangent

i really don't know where to start!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried? Where are you stuck?

List sets of parameters that can specify the tangent line. Then see if you can write enough equations to solve the unknowns. E.g.

i. Let the tangent be y=mx+c.

ii. Let the tangent be ax+by+c=0.

iii. Let the point where the tangent touches the parabola be (x1,y1).

Judge for yourself which set is easier, and go on solving it. Sometimes it is hard to tell beforehand and you may need to pick one and switch to another if got stuck.

FAQ: Tangents of a parabola perpendicular to a line

What is a parabola?

A parabola is a symmetrical curve formed by the intersection of a plane with a right circular cone when the angle between the plane and the axis of the cone is less than the angle formed by the side of the cone and its base.

What are tangents of a parabola?

Tangents of a parabola are straight lines that touch the curve of the parabola at only one point, also known as the point of tangency.

How can you find the equation of a tangent to a parabola?

The equation of a tangent to a parabola can be found by using the point of tangency and the slope of the tangent line. The slope of the tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the parabola's equation at the given point.

What does it mean for a tangent of a parabola to be perpendicular to a line?

When a tangent of a parabola is perpendicular to a line, it means that the slope of the tangent line is equal to the negative reciprocal of the slope of the given line.

How many tangents of a parabola can be perpendicular to a given line?

There can be a maximum of two tangents of a parabola that are perpendicular to a given line. These tangents will be on either side of the parabola's axis of symmetry.