Tank Volume: Find Volume at 3,000 psi, 80 F

In summary: Rankine has responded:Hi Matt, I'm not sure where you got the z-factor for the gas at 3,000 psi from, but it should be around 6 according to the equation you're using. Hope that helps!
Matt766

Homework Statement

A tank for scuba diving is designed to contain 50 standard cubic feet of air when filled to a pressure of 3,000 pounds per square inch (gage) at an ambient temperature of 80 F. Calculate the interior volume of the tank. A standard cubic foot occupies one cubic foot at T=15 C and 101.3 kPa.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I used PV/RT = PV/RT . I made sure all the units were correct but the volume I get is way too large.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Matt766. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Please show your arithmatic so readers can look for mistakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure. The underline is for division, and the temperatures go on the left and right of the equal sign respectively. Is there an equation editor or something?

(V * 3,000 lb/in^2) = (14.7 lb/in^2)*(86,414.7 in^3
(539.7 deg R) (518.7 deg R)​

V= 441.4 in^3. This seems weird to me because its such a small volume for a tank.

Is Rankine going to work there?

Yes, looks like it can.

Last edited:
NascentOxygen said:

Yes, looks like it can.
One point here: the pressure in the tank is supposed to be 3000 psi gage. The ideal gas equation uses absolute pressure and absolute temperature.

Second point: where did 86,414.7 in.3 come from? After all, 1 foot = 12 inches, so 1 ft.3 = ? in.3

Didn't convert the right pressure to gage pressure, otherwise I can't see anything amiss. Yes, SK, should go with absolute temps though I see using R doesn't change the result here.

I made the tank pressure into an absolute pressure and corrected the volume for the cubic feet. For some reason I added 14.7 to the volume? Thanks haha

(V)*(3,014.7 lb/in^2)
= (86,400 in^3)*(14.7 lb/in^2)
(539.7 deg R) (518.7 deg R)

V=438.4 in^3.

From Wikipedia:
An especially common cylinder available at tropical dive resorts is an "aluminium-80" which is an aluminium cylinder with an internal volume of 0.39 cubic feet (11 L) rated to hold about 80 cubic feet (2,300 L) of atmospheric pressure gas at its rated pressure of 3,000 psi (210 bar).

NascentOxygen said:

Yes, looks like it can.
Sure.

Matt766 said:
I made the tank pressure into an absolute pressure and corrected the volume for the cubic feet. For some reason I added 14.7 to the volume? Thanks haha

(V)*(3,014.7 lb/in^2)
= (86,400 in^3)*(14.7 lb/in^2)
(539.7 deg R) (518.7 deg R)

V=438.4 in^3.
In this problem, considering how high the pressure is, we should also have used the compressibility z factor. The pressure is 200 atm., which corresponds to a reduced pressure on the order of about 6. In any event, giving the volume to 4 significant figures is not justified.

Chet

FAQ: Tank Volume: Find Volume at 3,000 psi, 80 F

1. How do you calculate the volume of a tank at 3,000 psi and 80 F?

To calculate the volume of a tank at 3,000 psi and 80 F, you will need to use the ideal gas law, which states that PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin. Rearranging this equation, you can solve for V and find the volume of the tank.

2. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to tank volume?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of an ideal gas under various conditions, including pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles. It relates to tank volume by allowing us to calculate the volume of a tank at a given pressure and temperature.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating tank volume at 3,000 psi and 80 F?

Sure! Let's say we have a tank with a pressure of 3,000 psi and a temperature of 80 F. First, we need to convert the temperature to Kelvin by adding 273.15, giving us a temperature of 353.15 K. Next, we need to know the number of moles of gas in the tank and the gas constant. Let's assume we have 2 moles of gas and use the value 0.0821 L•atm/K•mol for the gas constant. Plugging these values into the ideal gas law equation, we get V = (2 moles x 3,000 psi x 353.15 K) / (0.0821 L•atm/K•mol) = 260.20 L. Therefore, the tank volume at 3,000 psi and 80 F is approximately 260.20 liters.

4. How does tank pressure and temperature affect the volume of a gas?

The volume of a gas is directly proportional to its pressure and indirectly proportional to its temperature. This means that as pressure increases, volume increases, and as temperature decreases, volume also decreases. This is described by the ideal gas law, which shows that as pressure and temperature increase, the volume of the gas will also increase.

5. What other factors can impact the volume of a tank at 3,000 psi and 80 F?

In addition to pressure and temperature, the material and shape of the tank can also impact its volume. Different materials have different compressibility, which can affect the volume of the gas inside the tank. Additionally, the shape of the tank can also impact the volume, as tanks with irregular shapes may have varying volumes at the same pressure and temperature as a tank with a regular shape.