Taps for simple IIR Filter in GNU Radio

Swamp Thing
Insights Author
I am experimenting with GNU Radio (using the Companion graphical editor) to do some simple audio processing.

As my first experiment, I am trying to set up a very simple 2nd order IIR filter at 170 Hz with a sample rate of 16000 samples/sec. I used this Mathematica code to find the taps:
Code:
fs=16000;
fr=170 (* Center Frequency *)
\[CapitalTheta]=N[2 Pi fr / fs ]

r=0.99; (* this controls the Q *)

t1=2 r Cos[\[CapitalTheta]]
t2= -r*r
{t1,t2} (* these are the tap values that I want to use in GNU Radio's IIR block *)

Here's how I verify within Mathematica that the filter should work OK:
Code:
y1=0;
y2=0;
yyy=Reap[For[i=0,i<400,i++,
       x=If[i<4,10,0];  (* inputs a short pulse to the system *)
       y=x + t1* y1 + t2*y2;
      Sow[y];
        y2=y1;
        y1=y;

]
][[2,1]];
ListPlot[yyy,PlotRange->All]

And this gives this plot, where I can verify that the resonant frequency is around 170 Hz as intended.

1728912835643.png

Now when I enter the feedforward taps into the GNU Radio IIR as [1] and the feedback taps as [1.97559, -0.9801] --- which I got from the first code block above and which works in the test filter above --- I get nothing resembling the above.

The impulse response in GNU Radio looks like this:

iir.png

Now, the IIR block has a dropdown that selects the so-called "old" or "new" convention for the polarities of the tap values. If I change that option, I get the following, where the filter seems to have become unstable and is "hunting" at the sample rate.
iir-2.png

So if anyone knows about the quirks of the IIR block in GNU Radio, please help me understand this. Thanks.

Back