Taylor expansion about lagrangian in noether

gionole
I was studying a derivation of noether's theorem mathematically and something struck my eyes.

Suppose you have ##L(q, \dot q, t)## and you transform it and get ##L' = L(\sigma(q, a), \frac{d}{dt}\sigma(q,a), t)##. ##\sigma## is a transformation function for ##q##

Let's represent ##L'## by taylor around point 0, which gives us:

##L(q, \dot q) + a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} + a^2\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial a^2}\Bigr|_{a=0} + ...##

Now, here is the tricky part: If lagrangians(before and after transformation) are differed by total time derivative of some function, we can say that:
##\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} = \frac{d}{dt}\Lambda##

Note that first order from taylor turned out to be enough, even though taylor only with first order is not the exact(100%) approximation of any ##L##. So it turns out that we use: ##a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} = a\frac{d}{dt}\Lambda## instead of ##a\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}\Bigr|_{a=0} + a^2\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial a^2}\Bigr|_{a=0} + ... = \frac{d}{dt}\Lambda##

I am told that we can do this because ##a## is infinetisemal transformation, but still don't get why this works. I know I need to know lie theory to understand this, but isn't there really any other way to somehow grasp it without bunch of math ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You just need that ##L'## and ##L## should be equivalent Lagrangians, i.e., that there exists a function ##\Omega(q,t)## such that
$$L'[\sigma(q,a),\dot{\sigma}(q,a),t]=L(q,\dot{q},t]+\dot{\Omega}(q,t),$$
where the dots mean total derivatives (symmetry condition).

For an infinitesimal transformation, i.e., ##q'=q+\epsilon \sigma(q,t)## you can make the ansatz ##\Omega(q,t)=-\epsilon \tilde{\Omega}(q,t)## and expand the LHS of the symmetry condition to first order in ##\epsilon##, which then leads to a conservation law for the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations.

BTW: That's only the most simple special form of the transformations considered in Noether's theorem. You can extend it to more general transformations,
$$t'=t+\epsilon \Theta(q,\dot{q},t), \quad q'=q+\epsilon Q(q,\dot{q},t).$$
Then
$$\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t'} L[q+\epsilon Q,\dot{q}+\epsilon \dot{Q},t+\epsilon \Theta(q,\dot{q},t)]=L(q,\dot{q},t) -\epsilon \dot{\tilde{\Omega}}(q,t).$$
Now again you can expand everything to 1st order in ##\epsilon## to get the symmetry condition, and then there follows again a conservation law for the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Related to Taylor expansion about lagrangian in noether

What is a Taylor expansion in the context of a Lagrangian?

A Taylor expansion in the context of a Lagrangian involves expanding the Lagrangian function in terms of a small parameter, typically around a point of interest (such as an equilibrium point). This allows for an approximation of the Lagrangian using a series of derivatives evaluated at that point. The expansion helps in simplifying the analysis of the system's dynamics near that point.

How does Noether's theorem relate to the Lagrangian?

Noether's theorem states that every differentiable symmetry of the action of a physical system corresponds to a conservation law. In the context of the Lagrangian, this means that if the Lagrangian is invariant under a continuous symmetry transformation, there is a corresponding conserved quantity. For example, invariance under time translation leads to conservation of energy, and invariance under spatial translation leads to conservation of momentum.

Why is the Taylor expansion useful in analyzing the Lagrangian?

The Taylor expansion is useful because it simplifies the Lagrangian to a polynomial form, making it easier to analyze the behavior of the system near the point of expansion. This is particularly helpful in perturbation theory, where small deviations from a known solution are considered. The expansion allows for a systematic approximation of the system's dynamics, which can be solved more easily than the full, original Lagrangian.

Can you give an example of a Taylor expansion of a Lagrangian?

Consider a simple harmonic oscillator with a Lagrangian \(L = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 - \frac{1}{2}kx^2\). If we expand the Lagrangian around the equilibrium point \(x = 0\), we get:\[ L \approx L(0) + \left.\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}\right|_{x=0} x + \frac{1}{2} \left.\frac{\partial^2 L}{\partial x^2}\right|_{x=0} x^2 + \ldots \]Since \(L(0) = 0\) and the first derivative term vanishes at equilibrium, the leading term is the second derivative term:\[ L \approx \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 - \frac{1}{2}kx^2 \]This confirms the original form of the Lagrangian for a simple harmonic oscillator.

What role does the Taylor expansion play in deriving conservation laws using Noether's theorem?

The Taylor expansion itself is not directly used in deriving conservation laws via Noether's theorem. However, the expansion can simplify the Lagrangian, making it easier to identify symmetries. Once the symmet