Teaching limits of a physics degree

In summary, a physics degree can be helpful in teaching other courses at a community college. However, it will be difficult to teach all courses because some students will not have the math background necessary to take the class.
nlsherrill
I was wondering what other areas besides physics one could teach with a MS or PhD in Physics?

I was possibly planning on going for an MS in Physics, and then going to teach at a community college for a few years. I figured getting a MS in Physics would also qualify you to teach pretty much all the math courses at a community college(algebra, pre calc, calc 123, diff eq, linear). Does this ever happen, or would a CC be more likely to just let you teach physics courses?

Also, I noticed there are a few professors at my college who got PhD's in physics, and are now doing research in EE, and teaching EE courses. Does having a PhD in Physics imply that you are capable of teaching an EE curriculum? Or would this be more based on your post-doc research/experience?

I ask all of this because if I do teach, I wouldn't mind teaching math/engineering as well if possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Several of my CC instructors had backgrounds different from the field they were teaching (I took programming from a ceramics engineer, for example).

Engineering statics or programming would be appropriate classes for someone with a physics background to teach.

I taught for 1 semester at a CC with a well known name. I taught two classes of physics and two of math - you can definitely do both, though it may depend on the institution. In fact, if I had stayed full time (they made me a pretty good offer) I'd have been expected to teach 5 classes and they couldn't have come up with 5 physics courses. By the time I left we had explored the idea of me teaching a number of other courses, such as their electronics courses.

Let me warn you, teaching at CC is an experience. The maths I taught were the remedial ones. We spent a lot of time trying to teach adults fractions; I was only mostly successful. The physics class was algebra based, and about 1/3 of the class did not have the math background (despite passing the required classes) to take it.

Of course, you get a lot of that in 4 year unis, too; just a different degree. The biggest difference in the people I taught at the CC can be summed up as follows: I asked one guy why he was there, he responded "I want to be able to buy my children better toys." Many of them were very poor, and most worked 40-80 hours on top of school.

It wasn't entirely positive, but I'd love to teach a class on the side, if I had time.

FAQ: Teaching limits of a physics degree

1. What career options are available with a physics degree?

A physics degree can open up a wide range of career options in fields such as research, development, engineering, education, and technology. Some specific job titles include physicist, aerospace engineer, data scientist, medical physicist, and science teacher.

2. Can a physics degree lead to a successful and high-paying career?

Yes, a physics degree can lead to a successful and high-paying career. According to the American Institute of Physics, the median starting salary for physics bachelor's degree recipients is $55,000, and the median mid-career salary is $107,000.

3. Is a physics degree difficult to obtain?

Obtaining a physics degree can be challenging, as it requires a strong foundation in mathematics and a deep understanding of complex concepts. However, with dedication and hard work, it is achievable and can lead to a rewarding career.

4. What skills and qualities do I need to succeed in a physics degree program?

To succeed in a physics degree program, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, a deep curiosity about the natural world, and the ability to think critically and creatively. Attention to detail, perseverance, and strong mathematical abilities are also important qualities for success in this field.

5. What are the benefits of studying physics and obtaining a physics degree?

Studying physics and obtaining a physics degree can provide you with a strong foundation in scientific principles, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills. It can also open up diverse career opportunities and the potential for high salaries. Additionally, studying physics can help you gain a better understanding of the world around you and contribute to advancements in science and technology.