The Teapot Effect: Investigating the Causes

• Thread starter Himal kharel
  • Start date
In summary: Moving on...I could, but I honestly don't think that it would make any difference. All of mine have drip-proof spouts, which is standard as far as I know. After any pour, there will be exactly one drop of tea clinging to the bottom of the spout lip. They're designed that way. Back in the 50's and early 60's, when my mother still made my tea for me, she would scald the pot and then immediately put it in the refrigerator to cool. This would cause the tea to form a natural seal around the spout, preventing any overflow.
Himal kharel
When poured from teapot water has a tendency to run underside the spout. I googled it but could only find that it was not because of adhesion. Even if you coat the spout with paraffin wax or if you use cold water instead of hot water there is no appreciable change.this clearly suggests that no adhesive forces come into play.
Then what may cause this teapot effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't physics, but I use a teapot, and find that if you thoroughly clean the spout it tends to happen less often and to a lesser degree. Also in a typical Chinese restaurant the teapots often have a inch or so of plastic tubing on the spout and this seems to help as well (no doubt its also for avoiding chipping).

Perhaps its a wetting issue? As long as the spout is dry the flow is undisturbed, but any residue wicks moisture into the area and water tries to stick to water?

Himal kharel said:
Even if you coat the spout with paraffin wax or if you use cold water instead of hot water there is no appreciable change.this clearly suggests that no adhesive forces come into play.
Of course they come into play. Paraffin is just not hydrophobic enough. Small water drops stick to paraffin, even if gravity tries to pull them directly away from it (I just tried with a tealight).

Here is a study on this that uses superhydrophobic substrates, to make the effect go away:
http://lpmcn.univ-lyon1.fr/~lbocquet/teapot-prl.pdf

As expected the effect depends on: wettability (adhesive vs. cohesive forces.), flow velocity, solid surface edge curvature. But with superhydrophobic surfaces the flow separates well, while flow velocity and geometry have little effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Himal kharel said:
When poured from teapot water has a tendency to run underside the spout. I googled it but could only find that it was not because of adhesion. Even if you coat the spout with paraffin wax or if you use cold water instead of hot water there is no appreciable change.this clearly suggests that no adhesive forces come into play.

A friend of mine was a production potter and he told me that all teapots drip but to minimise this drip he cuts the spout at a slight angle to give the flowing tea a bit of side spin.

Google
"Coanda Effect"

I have several real teapots, and none of them exhibit the problem mentioned in the original post. All, of course, have undercut spouts as a proper pot does.
The worst offenders are those idiotic stamped-steel teabag-in-warm-water things that are found in restaurants. Some with long spouts also don't dribble upon themselves. Those stubbies are just stupid. To avoid having one of those abominations piss all over your table, hold the lid open while pouring.

One theory, at one website says it is important not to clean the teapot, thereby removing the coating of stain that would build up around the lip of the spout.

Apparently, a patina of tanic acid, as well as a proper spout velocity, together act to break the surface tension at the exit.

Should I become a tea drinker some time in the future, I hope to be well versed on the perchase of a quality tea pot, as well as having a jump on the professional skills required for correct operation and maintenance.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
One theory, at one website says it is important not to clean the teapot, thereby removing the coating of stain that would build up around the lip of the spout.

I don't know whether or not that is accurate, but I must admit that I've never cleaned a teapot other than the traditional scalding before making a new brew. I've been using one of my favourites for over 40 years without so much as a rinse.

Danger said:
I don't know whether or not that is accurate, but I must admit that I've never cleaned a teapot other than the traditional scalding before making a new brew. I've been using one of my favourites for over 40 years without so much as a rinse.

Could you wash it and see if it malfuctions? Just for fun. Of course, you should establish some drip baseline tests before washing it...

Phrak said:
Could you wash it and see if it malfuctions? Just for fun. Of course, you should establish some drip baseline tests before washing it...

I occurs to me that you could use that exact approach in an attempt to open a sex clinic...

Moving on...
I could, but I honestly don't think that it would make any difference. All of mine have drip-proof spouts, which is standard as far as I know. After any pour, there will be exactly one drop of tea clinging to the bottom of the spout lip. They're designed that way. Back in the 50's and early 60's, when my mother still made my tea for me, it was the same. One drop—no more and no less.

I have attached a picture of window frame. If it was all about adhesion then why wouldn't engineers just coat the window frame with oil or anything water repellent instead of making drip grooveView attachment untitled.bmp.

Last edited:
Himal kharel said:
I have attached a picture of window frame. If it was all about adhesion then why wouldn't engineers just coat the window frame with oil or anything water repellent instead of making drip groove.

Superhydrophobic coating would indeed make sense in a lot of places. I don't know why it is not more widely used. Probably price & durability issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqvXJRVmh8g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=berp-odsKFo

Windshields are interesting. But when you drive too slow, the round drops on the superhydrophobic windshield seem more annoying than the blurry water film in the normal windshield. You have to drive faster to blow the drops away, which is not what you might want to do in rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5bTJcKuTek

Last edited:
Himal kharel said:

It's not a very simple problem to solve. Kistler and Scriven wrote (IIRC) about 40 pages on this:

"The Teapot Effect: Sheet-Forming Flows with Deflection, Wetting and Hysteresis," S.F. Kistler and L.E. Scriven, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 263, p. 19 (1994)

Phrak said:

Apparently, a patina of tanic acid, as well as a proper spout velocity, together act to break the surface tension at the exit.

Should I become a tea drinker some time in the future, I hope to be well versed on the perchase of a quality tea pot, as well as having a jump on the professional skills required for correct operation and maintenance.

After a month or so the teapot I use will start to dribble. After cleaning the spout the dribble mostly stops for another month or so. I will attempt to explain to the teapot its mistaken ways asap.

MikeTheLost said:
I will attempt to explain to the teapot its mistaken ways asap.

Please do. We've all seen the mayhem that can ensue when teapots run wild.

Related to The Teapot Effect: Investigating the Causes

1. What is the Teapot Effect?

The Teapot Effect is a phenomenon in which hot water poured into a teapot causes the teapot to become warmer than the water itself. This goes against the basic principles of heat transfer, which state that heat should flow from the hotter object (the water) to the colder object (the teapot).

2. What causes the Teapot Effect?

The Teapot Effect is caused by a combination of factors, including the material and shape of the teapot, the temperature and volume of the water, and the rate of heat transfer between the water and the teapot. These factors can cause the teapot to absorb and retain heat at a faster rate than the water, resulting in the teapot becoming warmer than the water inside it.

3. What are the applications of studying the Teapot Effect?

Studying the Teapot Effect can help us better understand the principles of heat transfer and how different materials and shapes affect it. This knowledge can be applied to various industries, such as in the design and manufacturing of teapots and other heat-sensitive objects. It can also have implications in fields such as thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

4. Can the Teapot Effect be prevented?

The Teapot Effect can be minimized or prevented by using materials with lower thermal conductivity, such as ceramic or glass, for the teapot. The shape of the teapot can also play a role, as a wider and flatter shape can distribute heat more evenly. Additionally, using cooler water and pouring it into the teapot slowly can help reduce the Teapot Effect.

5. How can the Teapot Effect be studied in a scientific setting?

In a scientific setting, the Teapot Effect can be studied by conducting experiments with different types of teapots, water temperatures, and pouring methods. Researchers can also use mathematical models and simulations to better understand the underlying principles of heat transfer in this phenomenon. Additionally, advanced techniques such as thermal imaging can be used to visualize and measure the temperature distribution in the teapot and water.

Back