Techniques of Differentiation: Applications of Derivatives

In summary, the problem is asking to determine the maximum volume of a box with a square base using 10 m2 of material. The method of Lagrange multipliers was suggested, but it is not necessary for this problem. The correct approach is to use the surface area condition to write the volume as a function of x, differentiate it, and solve for x. There was an error in the algebra, which should be corrected to find the correct value of x and the corresponding maximum volume.
hadizainud

Homework Statement

We want to construct a box with a square base and we only have 10 m2 of material to use in construction of the box. Assuming that all the material is used in the construction process determine the maximum volume that the box can have.

Homework Equations

Chain rule. Second derivatives. Calculating Maximum and Minimum value.

The Attempt at a Solution

All the surface area = 10m2 = 2(x2)

Base + Top + 4 vertical area = 10m2
x2 + x2 + 4xy = 10

y = (10 - 2x2) / 4x

u = x2y

r = x2((10 - 2x2) / 4x)

du/dx = (5-3x2)/2

-Okay, clearly I don't understand even a bit of my work. Someone please explain to me and show me the correct steps. Thanks-

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the method of lagrange multipliers.

What is that man. There suppose to be easy way to solve this, but I just can't see it. That Lagrange multipliers is not in my study's syllabus :|

Last edited:
Lagrange multipliers is too advanced for this problem.

hadizainud, you almost have the problem solved. You used the surface area condition to write the volume as a function of x only and then differentiated with respect to x. I assume you did that because you know that "a function, f, has an extremum at:
a point where f'(x)= 0.
a point where f'(x) does not exist.
and endpoint of the interval, if any.

However, you have an error in your algebra:
[tex]x^2\frac{10- 2x^2}{4x}= \frac{x^2(10- 2x^2)}{4x}= \frac{x(5- x^2)}{2}=\frac{5x- x^3}{2}[/tex]

Find the derivative of that, set it equal to 0 and solve for x. What is the volume for that x?

Related to Techniques of Differentiation: Applications of Derivatives

1. What are the different types of differentiation techniques?

The most commonly used techniques of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and implicit differentiation.

2. What are some real-life applications of derivatives?

Derivatives are used in many fields, such as physics, economics, engineering, and biology. Some examples of real-life applications include optimization problems, motion and velocity analysis, and predicting changes in a system over time.

3. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use one of the differentiation techniques mentioned above. First, identify the function's variables and constants, then apply the appropriate rule to find the derivative.

4. What is the relationship between derivatives and tangents?

A derivative represents the slope of a function at a specific point. This slope is also known as the function's instantaneous rate of change. Therefore, the derivative can be used to find the equation of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

5. How can derivatives be used to solve optimization problems?

Optimization problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. Derivatives can be used to find the critical points of a function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero. By analyzing these critical points, we can determine the maximum or minimum value of the function.