TEM plane waves, decay and attenuation

In summary: I've been trying to get reantiquated with electormagnetics to understand RF communications better. I have a question about TEM plane waves.In summary, the plane wave function, e-α cos(ωt-βz), is appropriate for short distances, but over long distances it is not appropriate.
FrankJ777
I've been trying to get reantiquated with electormagnetics to understand RF communications better. I have a question about TEM plane waves. The funtions which describe the plane waves in the z dirrection are:

e cos(ωt-βz) ; in the time domain

where is the rate of decay.

In free space α is 0, so the plane wave function does not account for free space loss which from what I understand accounts for the fields spreading out is a sphere and the distribution of the fields across the surface of the sphere. Hence it is an inverse square law.

My questions is, is it only appropriate to use the plane wave function, e cos(ωt-βz), for very short distances of travel, i.e. in a circuit, or through a shielding? Is it ever appropriate to use over long distances? Hope my question is making sense. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
FrankJ777 said:
My questions is, is it only appropriate to use the plane wave function, e cos(ωt-βz), for very short distances of travel, i.e. in a circuit, or through a shielding? Is it ever appropriate to use over long distances? Hope my question is making sense. Thanks.

That's is my understanding: The term plane wave is the approximation of the wave front from a source at large distance, that the small surface area is approx a flat plane rather a concave shape. So for a short distant travel, the wave is in a plane perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

So for short distance, the propagation is assume to be at a constant direction, where, in a lot of books, assumed to be in the z direction ( for no better reason than just picking one!). So the basic formula of of the E wave is:

[tex] \vec E(z)= \hat x E_{(0)} e^{-\alpha z}Re[e^{j\omega t} e^{-j\beta z+ \phi}][/tex]

Where the inverse square thing is ignored. For EM wave in guided structure like coax or other type of tx line, there is no inverse square thing as it is not spreading like a sphere, it is in only one direction.

Thanks. That's pretty much what i was assuming, but in the texts I've been reading they really don't specify.

FrankJ777 said:
Thanks. That's pretty much what i was assuming, but in the texts I've been reading they really don't specify.

There are a lot of things the EM textbooks do not explain very clearly. I resort to repeat studying three different times with different books to try to understand the material. It was not until the third time studying that I realize signal in electronics does not travel as current, it is really the EM wave that travel and current is the consequence of the boundary condition between the dielectric and the conductor surface. To me, that's the real "light bulb" moment where a lot of things start to make sense.
Another thing that is so not explained clearly is the "free charge" vs "bounded charge" application in the Maxwell's equations. I actually learned from the video lecture done by the India Institute of Technology.

Every time I study back, I learn something new!

Yeah, I'm using Wentorth's Electromagnetics, Pozar's Microwave text, and Dan Fliesch's book on Maxwell's equations.

FAQ: TEM plane waves, decay and attenuation

1. What are TEM plane waves?

TEM (Transverse Electro-Magnetic) plane waves are electromagnetic waves that propagate in a direction perpendicular to both the electric and magnetic fields. They have a constant amplitude and phase and do not change direction as they propagate through a medium.

2. How do TEM plane waves decay?

TEM plane waves decay as they travel through a medium due to the absorption and scattering of the electromagnetic energy by the particles in the medium. This results in a decrease in the amplitude of the wave as it propagates.

3. What factors affect the decay of TEM plane waves?

The decay of TEM plane waves is affected by the properties of the medium such as its electrical conductivity, magnetic permeability, and dielectric constant. The frequency and intensity of the wave also play a role in the rate of decay.

4. What is attenuation of TEM plane waves?

Attenuation refers to the decrease in amplitude of a TEM plane wave as it travels through a medium. It is caused by the absorption and scattering of the electromagnetic energy by the particles in the medium.

5. How is attenuation measured in TEM plane waves?

Attenuation in TEM plane waves can be measured using a variety of techniques such as intensity measurements, phase shift measurements, and scattering measurements. These methods help to quantify the decrease in amplitude of the wave as it propagates through a medium.

Back