Temp profiles through partial derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the separation of layers in a lake at the thermocline, defined as the location of the steepest slope in the temperature gradient. A mathematical model for temperature is provided, along with specific tasks to apply equation (1) to equation (2) to find the location and speed of the thermocline. The solution involves taking partial derivatives and using the fact that only the exponential expression contains a "y" variable. The original poster is unsure about their approach and requests help.
rico22

Homework Statement

The separation of layers is considered to occur at the thermocline, which is defined as the location of the steepest slope in the temperature gradient. Mathematically, this occurs at the inflection point – so the position of the thermocline can be found from the following criterion:

(1)∂2T/∂y2=0

where y is the depth (measured from the lake surface) and T is the temperature.

A mathematical model for temperature as a function of depth y (in m) and time t (in days) is:

(2)T(y,t)-T0/Tsurf(t)-T0=exp(-y2/4αt)

where Tsurf(t) is the water temperature of the lake surface at time t, α is a property called the “eddy thermal diffusivity” and T0 is the lake temperature at time zero. Time zero must be chosen to be on a day when the lake temperature is more or less uniform.

Here are the specific tasks:

(1) Apply equation (1) to equation (2) and develop an expression for the location ytc of the thermocline as a function of time.

(2) The speed at which the thermocline moves vtc is defined as

vtc=∂ytc/∂t

Use your results from (1) to obtain an expression for vtc as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I expressed the function as T(y,t)=e^(-y2/4αt)(Tsurf(t)-T0)+T0...

from this I know that only the exponential expression contains a "y" so everything else becomes a constant and the last T0 drops off...

so for the first partial derivative this becomes (Tsurf(t)-T0)e^(-y2/4αt)(-2/4αt)

then for the second partial its pretty much the same as the first one only now we also have a value of (-2/4αt) so this becomes: (1/4α2t2)(Tsurf(t)-T0)e^(-y2/4αt) ...
I am not sure if this is the way to go so I just wanted to check to see if I was in the right path. Also for number 2 I am not sure how to differentiate with respect to t when I have Tsurf(t) as a function of time. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Temp profiles through partial derivatives

1. What are partial derivatives in relation to temperature profiles?

Partial derivatives refer to the derivatives of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant. In the context of temperature profiles, this means finding the rate of change of temperature at a specific point while keeping all other variables, such as time or distance, constant.

2. How can partial derivatives be used to analyze temperature profiles?

Partial derivatives allow scientists to study how temperature changes at a specific point in a system, without being affected by other variables. This can help in understanding how temperature changes over time or distance, and how it is affected by different factors.

3. What is the difference between partial derivatives and total derivatives in temperature profiles?

Partial derivatives are specific to one variable and hold all other variables constant, while total derivatives take into account the changes in all variables. In temperature profiles, partial derivatives are used to analyze the change in temperature at a specific point, while total derivatives are used to analyze the overall change in temperature throughout the system.

4. How are partial derivatives calculated for temperature profiles?

To calculate a partial derivative for a temperature profile, the scientist must hold all other variables constant and take the derivative of the function with respect to the variable of interest. This can be done using mathematical equations or through graphical analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of using partial derivatives in temperature profiles?

Partial derivatives are commonly used in fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and environmental science to analyze temperature changes in various systems. They can also be used in engineering and design to optimize temperature control in systems. Additionally, partial derivatives are used in economics and business to analyze changes in demand and supply in relation to temperature fluctuations.