Temperature compensation circuit

In summary, the temperature compensation circuit must use a JFET and all the other components in the circuit will also need to be temperature-sensitive. The oscillator's intended operating temperature range is not known at this point, but it may be possible to use a crystal-based synthesizer IC if necessary.
AHMEDbr

Homework Statement

I am designing a local oscillator ( clapp ) whose frequency needs to be kept constant even with varying temperatures , this oscillator have an output frequency 150 MHZ , and power supply 3.3 V

Homework Equations

which temperature compensation circuit must be used with this oscillator ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• clapp oscillator circuit.PNG
    clapp oscillator circuit.PNG
    3.4 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
AHMEDbr said:

Homework Statement

I am designing a local oscillator ( clapp ) whose frequency needs to be kept constant even with varying temperatures , this oscillator have an output frequency 150 MHZ , and power supply 3.3 V

Homework Equations

which temperature compensation circuit must be used with this oscillator ?

The Attempt at a Solution

What are your thoughts? What component values or qualities vary in that circuit with temperature?

the JFET and all the others components because I'm working in HF also i will use electrodes in parallel with C3 for measure soil moisture , and the measurement is sensible to temperature variation

AHMEDbr said:
the JFET and all the others components because I'm working in HF also i will use electrodes in parallel with C3 for measure soil moisture , and the measurement is sensible to temperature variation
So what are your initial thoughts to be able to do temperature compensation? What-all changes in the FET? Are you supposed to ignore the tempcos of the capacitors and other passives?

I don't see any design target for temperature stability. What is an acceptable range for the oscillator frequency?How do you plan on measuring or calculating it?

What's the anticipated operating temperature range? How does your existing circuit behave over that range? (so how much effort do you need to put into make it conform to requirements?)

Would you change the oscillator circuit type if you find that the required compensation is too complex to be practical?

i can use à temperature sensor with a voltage controlled capacitor to compensate temperature , i found in net analog device AD590 but it power supply is +5 V , my circuit power supply is 3.3 V so i must use another temperature sensor

below is an example of thermal compensation circuit

Attachments

• AD590.png
    AD590.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 429
Why not just use a crystal oscillator ?

because the oscillator will have a variable frequency output , so crystal oscillator is not the best choice

AHMEDbr said:
because the oscillator will have a variable frequency output , so crystal oscillator is not the best choice
That's what crystal-based synthesizer ICs are for. Have you looked at them yet?

not yet ...

Related to Temperature compensation circuit

1. What is a temperature compensation circuit?

A temperature compensation circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to maintain a consistent output voltage or current regardless of changes in temperature. It is commonly used in electronic devices to ensure accurate and reliable operation in varying temperature conditions.

2. How does a temperature compensation circuit work?

A temperature compensation circuit typically uses a thermistor, which is a type of temperature-sensitive resistor, to sense changes in temperature. As the temperature changes, the resistance of the thermistor also changes. The circuit then adjusts the output voltage or current based on the thermistor's resistance, ensuring a constant output regardless of temperature.

3. What are the benefits of using a temperature compensation circuit?

The main benefit of using a temperature compensation circuit is that it helps maintain the accuracy and reliability of electronic devices even in extreme temperature conditions. It also helps extend the lifespan of electronic components by preventing them from overheating or operating outside of their specified temperature range.

4. In which types of electronic devices is a temperature compensation circuit commonly used?

A temperature compensation circuit is commonly used in devices that require precise and stable output, such as sensors, amplifiers, and power supplies. It is also commonly found in automotive, aerospace, and industrial applications where temperature variations can greatly affect performance.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a temperature compensation circuit?

One potential drawback of using a temperature compensation circuit is that it adds complexity and cost to the design of electronic devices. Additionally, if the circuit is not calibrated properly, it can lead to inaccuracies in the output. However, the benefits of using a temperature compensation circuit often outweigh these potential drawbacks.