Temperature(Pre) -- Gas Chromatography Question

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of a gas chromatograph (GC) and its settings, specifically the Temperature(pre) setting for the thermal conductivity detector (TCD). Suggestions are given to search for the operator's manual and to consider using a flame ionization detector (FID) instead. The person asking for advice is using the GC for gas analysis and notes that the manual does not mention the Temperature(pre) setting.
rwooduk
Does anyone here have any experience with GC? I am developing a method for analyses and I understand all the settings but there is one related to the TCD called Temperature(pre). Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you have access to the Operator's manual? Maybe google around for the make and model of your GC. Sometimes you can find manuals online.

Why are you using a thermal conductivity detector? Flame ionization detectors are so much better. To be honest, I've never used TCD or electron capture, FID all the way, or mass spec. Is you analysis specific for TCD?

Kevin McHugh said:
Why are you using a thermal conductivity detector? Flame ionization detectors are so much better. To be honest, I've never used TCD or electron capture, FID all the way, or mass spec. Is you analysis specific for TCD?

Apologies for the late reply. Simply put we have limited experience using the GC and it is already set up for TCD analysis. I'll be using it for analysis of gases such as CO2, CO, H2 and short chained hydrocarbons.

^^ The manual mentions noting of the Temp(Pre) unfortunately.

FAQ: Temperature(Pre) -- Gas Chromatography Question

What is temperature programming in gas chromatography?

Temperature programming in gas chromatography is the process of gradually increasing the temperature of the column during the analytical run. This allows for separation of compounds with different boiling points, resulting in better resolution and peak shape.

Why is temperature programming important in gas chromatography?

Temperature programming is important in gas chromatography because it allows for better separation of compounds with similar boiling points, resulting in improved resolution and more accurate identification and quantification of compounds in a sample.

What factors affect the temperature programming in gas chromatography?

The main factors that affect temperature programming in gas chromatography include the type of stationary phase, flow rate, sample composition, and initial temperature of the column. Other factors such as detector sensitivity and injection volume can also impact the temperature programming.

How can temperature programming be optimized in gas chromatography?

To optimize temperature programming in gas chromatography, it is important to consider the factors mentioned above and adjust them accordingly. This can include selecting the appropriate stationary phase, adjusting the flow rate, and optimizing the initial temperature and heating rate of the column. It is also important to analyze the sample composition and choose the appropriate temperature program to achieve the best separation.

What are the advantages of temperature programming in gas chromatography?

The advantages of temperature programming in gas chromatography include improved resolution, better peak shape, and increased sensitivity. It also allows for the separation of compounds with similar boiling points, resulting in more accurate identification and quantification of compounds in a sample.

Back