Temple U for physics and engineering?

In summary, the person is looking for feedback about Temple University in Pennsylvania as a potential college choice. They mention that it is affordable, has a credit transfer arrangement with their community college, and the Ambler campus is close to their house with a shuttle service to the main Philadelphia campus. However, they are concerned about the ranking of the physics department. The person also shares their plans to dual major in physics and mechanical engineering, and then pursue a master's in either of those fields or astrophysics. They have already completed 46 credits with a 3.8 GPA and have previously transferred from a community college to Temple. They mention that their tuition was fully covered by grants, but there have been recent changes in state funding and a waiting
e^(i Pi)+1=0
I'd like some honest feedback about this college please (it's in PA). I'm eying it for several reasons. For one, it's fairly cheap. This is important because whatever isn't covered by grants and scholarships will be coming from loans, as well as using them to pay my rent (I'm 33 and live on my own, full-time student, part-time job). Second, they have an arrangement worked out with my community college, so they are guaranteed to accept all my credits. Third, the Ambler campus is minutes from my house with a free shuttle service to the Philadelphia campus. So, Temple is looking like a good choice for me, but their physics department doesn't seem to be ranked very highly. Can anyone with some knowledge give some input about their physics and engineering departments?

I want to dual major in physics and mechanical engineering before pursuing a master's in one or the other or astrophysics. I have 46 credits and a 3.8 gpa.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got my BSME from Temple after transferring there with an AS in engineering from the local community college. Since I was over 25, the pell grant, pheea grant, and smart grant covered the entire tuition and then some. Apparently they've lost some of the state funding so I'm not sure what the tuition is nowadays. I also heard they have a waiting list now to get in. I had a lot of fun there and the professors are easily accessible since the class sizes are small. The food trucks right outside the egr building aren't too bad either.

Be SURE to get your AS first though and do the 60 credit core-to-core transfer. If you transfer there under the 45+ plan, you're forced to take additional liberal arts classes which are an unnecessary pain in the butt.

All in all, I truly do miss the place and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Related to Temple U for physics and engineering?

1. What majors are offered in Temple University's physics and engineering department?

Temple University offers undergraduate and graduate programs in physics and engineering, including a Bachelor of Science in Physics, a Bachelor of Science in Engineering, a Master of Science in Engineering Management, and a Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering.

2. What research opportunities are available for students in the physics and engineering department?

Temple University's physics and engineering department has several research centers and facilities where students can participate in cutting-edge research projects. Some of these include the Center for Advanced Photonics Research, the Center for Computational Design of Functional Layered Materials, and the Center for Bioengineering.

3. Are there any specialized tracks or concentrations within the physics and engineering programs?

Yes, Temple University offers several specialized tracks and concentrations within the physics and engineering programs, including Astrophysics, Biomedical Engineering, and Materials Science and Engineering.

4. What kind of job opportunities are available for graduates of Temple University's physics and engineering programs?

Graduates of Temple University's physics and engineering programs have a wide range of career options, including working in research and development for industries such as aerospace, defense, and electronics, as well as pursuing careers in academia or government agencies.

5. Are there any internships or co-op opportunities for students in the physics and engineering department?

Yes, Temple University has a strong network of industry partners that provide internship and co-op opportunities for students in the physics and engineering department. These experiences allow students to gain hands-on experience and make valuable connections in their field of study.