Tennis ball hit by racket (momentum problem I think)

• Thread starter aero_zeppelin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Tennis
In summary: So after seeing the final solution, it seems the t's were meant to be time in seconds after all. Hopefully this helps!In summary, the problem involves finding the final velocity of a tennis ball after being struck by a racket with a force of (72t - 442 t^2) N for 0.1 seconds at an angle of 32° to the horizontal. The force is given in Newtons, indicating that t is time in seconds elapsed from the beginning of the interaction. The final solution involves integrating the force to find the change in momentum, dividing it into x and y components, and using the correct directions for the initial momentum calculations.
aero_zeppelin

Homework Statement

A tennis ball of mass 0.022 kg is moving at 3.1 m/s at an angle of 222° to the horizontal. It is struck by a racket which exerts a force on it of 72t - 442 t^2 N for 1/10 of a second at an angle 32° to the horizontal. Find the final velocity of the tennis ball (Express answer using i and j unit vectors)

Homework Equations

So, I guess this is a momentum problem...?)

p = mv (momentum)
Δp = pf - pi

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt here was the next:

1.- Integrate the force exerted by racket, using tf = 0.1 s and ti = 0
Δp = ∫ F dt = 0.218 Km m / s

2.- Divide Δp in x and y components, by multiplying 0.218 by cos 222° and sin 222°, respectively.

3.- Obtain ball's momentum, in components also:
px initial = (0.022 kg)(3.1 m/s) cos 32°
py initial = (0.022 kg)(3.1 m/s) sin 32°

4.- Using Δp = pfinal - pinitial, solve for pfinal, which is (mass)(vel. final), then solve for
vel. final.

v final = (Δp + p initial) / mass = (6.05 i + 3.2 j) m/s

That's what I got... They said integral calculus was not needed (even though it's a pretty easy integral) for this course I'm taking lol, but after some thinking this is the only way I think this can be solved.

Any comments? Any other way to solve it w/o integral calculus?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hmm... the force is meant to be (72t - 442 t^2) N right? But this clearly doesn't have the physical dimensions of force. Unless t is a dimensionless parameter. (for example, time per second). What does the question say, specifically?

edit: When I said "for example, time per second", I meant the total elapsed time divided by the time for one second to elapse. In other words, a ratio of time intervals. This is just one example, so for your equation, it may be a different ratio. I'm guessing there is more information given in the question?

Last edited:
BruceW said:
hmm... the force is meant to be (72t - 442 t^2) N right? But this clearly doesn't have the physical dimensions of force. Unless t is a dimensionless parameter. (for example, time per second). What does the question say, specifically?

edit: When I said "for example, time per second", I meant the total elapsed time divided by the time for one second to elapse. In other words, a ratio of time intervals. This is just one example, so for your equation, it may be a different ratio. I'm guessing there is more information given in the question?

I know! I've never seen force expressed like this hehe... It has NEWTONS, so the dimensions are correct I guess. Those t's mean that the force can vary with time maybe? You are asked to find the final velocity on the ball after that force was exerted.
All the information is there, there's nothing more :P hehe

The question does not give enough information. But I think I can guess what t is meant to be.
aero_zeppelin said:
It has NEWTONS, so the dimensions are correct I guess.
the equation for force is: (72t - 442 t^2) N And we want it to have dimensions of Newtons, so this tells you something important about the dimensions of t. From this, what do you guess t is meant to be?

BruceW said:
The question does not give enough information. But I think I can guess what t is meant to be.

the equation for force is: (72t - 442 t^2) N And we want it to have dimensions of Newtons, so this tells you something important about the dimensions of t. From this, what do you guess t is meant to be?

I don't quite get it... We already have Newtons, but we want to get Newtons? hehe I am guessing you could also plug in TIME where those t's are and get the total force that was exerted during that time interval ?

You interpreted the badly worded problem correctly, and the method of solution is correct, but there are mistakes in it.

aero_zeppelin said:
A tennis ball of mass 0.022 kg is moving at 3.1 m/s at an angle of 222° to the horizontal. It is struck by a racket which exerts a force on it of 72t - 442 t^2 N for 1/10 of a second at an angle 32° to the horizontal. Find the final velocity of the tennis ball (Express answer using i and j unit vectors)

It is said that the force is in Newtons. It would be essential to give information about t, like "t is time in seconds, starting when the ball hits the racket". As the timespan of the interaction is given as 0.1 s we can conclude that t is time in seconds, elapsed from the beginning of the interaction. The coefficients of t and t2 must have dimensions and units, the correct form of F(t) would be F(t)=72(Ns-1)t-442 (Ns-2)t2.

aero_zeppelin said:
My attempt here was the next:

1.- Integrate the force exerted by racket, using tf = 0.1 s and ti = 0
Δp = ∫ F dt = 0.218 Km m / s

The principle is correct, but the result is not. Check the unit. K (Kelvin) is the unit of temperature. Use kg for mass. And the dimension of Δp is [mass][length][time]-1. The numerical value is also inaccurate.

aero_zeppelin said:
2.- Divide Δp in x and y components, by multiplying 0.218 by cos 222° and sin 222°, respectively.

3.- Obtain ball's momentum, in components also:
px initial = (0.022 kg)(3.1 m/s) cos 32°
py initial = (0.022 kg)(3.1 m/s) sin 32°

Check the text of the problem. You mixed the directions.

ehild

aero_zeppelin said:
I don't quite get it... We already have Newtons, but we want to get Newtons? hehe I am guessing you could also plug in TIME where those t's are and get the total force that was exerted during that time interval ?

If you put in time where those t's are, then we certainly won't have Newtons. You need to remember that time is another physical dimension. so time is 0.1seconds or (1/600)minutes e.t.c.

So we know the total time is 0.1seconds, but we want a dimensionless number. I think your teacher is hoping that you use your intuition to guess what that dimensionless number is meant to be. What was your guess?

ehild said:
You interpreted the badly worded problem correctly, and the method of solution is correct, but there are mistakes in it.

It is said that the force is in Newtons. It would be essential to give information about t, like "t is time in seconds, starting when the ball hits the racket". As the timespan of the interaction is given as 0.1 s we can conclude that t is time in seconds, elapsed from the beginning of the interaction. The coefficients of t and t2 must have dimensions and units, the correct form of F(t) would be F(t)=72(Ns-1)t-442 (Ns-2)t2.

The principle is correct, but the result is not. Check the unit. K (Kelvin) is the unit of temperature. Use kg for mass. And the dimension of Δp is [mass][length][time]-1. The numerical value is also inaccurate.

Check the text of the problem. You mixed the directions.

ehild

lolll yeah, it's supposed to be Kg in there, not Kelvin. Just a typing mistake. But you also mentioned the numerical value is incorrect...

Well, like I said, I wasn't supposed to be doing integral calculus in this subject, but here I am attempting an integral... I had the limits of the definite integral be tf = 0.1 s and ti = 0 and obtained Δp = 0.218 Kg m/s

What did you get as an answer? Also, if there's another method that doesn't require calculus, I'd appreciate a hint hehe

aero_zeppelin said:
lolll yeah, it's supposed to be Kg in there, not Kelvin. Just a typing mistake. But you also mentioned the numerical value is incorrect...

Well, like I said, I wasn't supposed to be doing integral calculus in this subject, but here I am attempting an integral... I had the limits of the definite integral be tf = 0.1 s and ti = 0 and obtained Δp = 0.218 Kg m/s

What did you get as an answer? Also, if there's another method that doesn't require calculus, I'd appreciate a hint hehe

I think you need calculus. ∫Fdt==72t2/2-442 t3/3 at t=0.1 equals to 0.213 kg m/s.

ehild

ehild said:
I think you need calculus. ∫Fdt==72t2/2-442 t3/3 at t=0.1 equals to 0.213 kg m/s.

ehild

Guess I'll have to learn those integrals before time hehe thanks a bunch for the help!

Related to Tennis ball hit by racket (momentum problem I think)

1. What is the momentum of a tennis ball after being hit by a racket?

The momentum of a tennis ball after being hit by a racket depends on several factors, including the mass of the ball, the speed at which it is hit, and the angle at which it is struck. Generally, the momentum of the ball will increase as the speed and mass increase, and decrease as the angle of impact decreases.

2. How does the momentum of the racket affect the momentum of the tennis ball?

The momentum of the racket plays a significant role in determining the momentum of the tennis ball. When the ball is hit by the racket, some of the momentum from the racket is transferred to the ball, causing it to move. The direction and magnitude of the racket's momentum will determine the direction and speed of the ball after impact.

3. What is the relationship between the momentum of the tennis ball and its velocity?

The momentum and velocity of a tennis ball are directly proportional. This means that as the velocity of the ball increases, so does its momentum. This relationship is described by the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. Can the momentum of a tennis ball be changed after it is hit by a racket?

Yes, the momentum of a tennis ball can be changed after it is hit by a racket. This is because momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Any change in the ball's speed or direction will result in a change in its momentum. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance can also affect the ball's momentum.

5. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a tennis ball being hit by a racket?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant if there are no external forces acting on it. In the case of a tennis ball being hit by a racket, the initial momentum of the ball and racket will be equal to the final momentum of the ball after impact. This means that the momentum of the ball will be conserved, but it may be redistributed between the ball and the racket.