Tennis ball's final velocity without it's initial

In summary, the problem involves a tennis player hitting a 1.45 kg tennis ball with a racket of mass 2.5 kg at a velocity of 7.5 m/s. The player then stops, and the question asks for the impulse applied to the ball and the final velocity of the ball. Using the equations for impulse and conservation of momentum and energy, it is determined that the impulse on the ball is 18.75 kg m/s and the initial velocity of the ball must be assumed to be zero in order for the collision to be perfectly elastic. The final velocity of the ball can then be calculated using this assumption.
danyork

Homework Statement

Here is the question I'm trying to answer:

A tennis player hits a 1.45 kg tennis ball with a racket of mass 2.5 kg. If he hits the ball with a velocity of 7.5 m/s and then stops, what impulse did he imply on the ball? What is the ball’s velocity?

Homework Equations

Δpball = -Δpracket = mvi - mvf
ma initialva initial + mb initialvb initial = ma finalva final + mb finalvb final

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the impulse on the ball as 2.5 * 7.5, which is 18.75 kg m/s (ignoring sig figs for now). What I'm stuck on is how to determine the balls final velocity without the problem stating the initial velocity. Should I assume the initial is 0 m/s (this seems wrong). I'm thinking there has to be another formula to use, but I can't figure it out. Without knowing the ball's initial velocity or the time of impact I'm out of ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forgot to mention two things:
1. It's a little unclear, but the racket's final velocity is 0m/s.
2. I did search other forums and found some similar ones to this one, but none looking for the ball's final velocity without mentioning it's initial.
Thanks in advance for any help.

It's implied that the initial velocity is zero.

Likes 1 person
Okay, thank you dauto.

danyork said:
A tennis player hits a 1.45 kg tennis ball with a racket of mass 2.5 kg. If he hits the ball with a velocity of 7.5 m/s and then stops, what impulse did he imply on the ball? What is the ball’s velocity?
That's one monster of a tennis ball, about 26 times the standard mass.
Even so, if the mass of the racket exceeds the mass of the ball yet the racket is brought to rest by the impact then something very strange is going on. The KE has increased!

Don't assume that the ball's initial velocity is zero, but solve for it, using energy and momentum conservation. You can then use that value to find the ball's final velocity.

tms said:
Don't assume that the ball's initial velocity is zero, but solve for it, using energy and momentum conservation. You can then use that value to find the ball's final velocity.

Yes, that makes more sense, but you have to assume the collision is perfectly elastic.

haruspex said:
Yes, that makes more sense, but you have to assume the collision is perfectly elastic.
That's a pretty common assumption in introductory physics problems, especially those with three-pound tennis balls.

Related to Tennis ball's final velocity without it's initial

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity is Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2ad), where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity (which is assumed to be 0), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and d is the distance traveled.

2. How does air resistance affect the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity?

Air resistance can affect the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity by slowing it down. As the ball falls, it will experience an opposing force from the air pushing against it, which will decrease its acceleration and therefore its final velocity.

3. Can the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity be negative?

No, the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity cannot be negative. The formula for calculating final velocity only gives a positive value, since it is the square root of a sum of squares. A negative final velocity would indicate that the ball is moving in the opposite direction, which does not make sense in this context.

4. Does the mass of the tennis ball affect its final velocity without its initial velocity?

Yes, the mass of the tennis ball can affect its final velocity without its initial velocity. According to the formula Vf = √(Vi^2 + 2ad), a larger mass would result in a larger force of gravity, which would result in a larger final velocity. However, the difference in final velocity due to mass may not be significant, as air resistance and other factors can also play a role.

5. How can the final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity be used in real-world applications?

The final velocity of a tennis ball without its initial velocity can be used in real-world applications for predicting the trajectory of a ball being thrown or hit. It can also be used to calculate the force and impact of a ball, which is important in sports like tennis and baseball. Additionally, understanding the final velocity of a ball can help engineers and designers in creating products that use ballistics, such as airbags or rockets.