Tennis Lob question Very confusing

In summary, the tennis player must move away from the lob at a minimum average speed of 6.1 m/s in order to hit the ball back at the moment that it is 2.10 m above its launch point.
carrbaseball
Here is the problem...The lob in tennis is an effective tactic when your opponent is near the net. It consists of lofting the ball over his head, forcing him to move quickly away from the net (see the drawing). Suppose that you loft the ball with an initial speed of v = 16.5 m/s, at an angle of = 55.0° above the horizontal. At this instant your opponent is 10.0 m away from the ball. He begins moving away from you 0.30 s later, hoping to reach the ball and hit it back at the moment that it is 2.10 m above its launch point. With what minimum average speed must he move? (Ignore the fact that he can stretch, so that his racket can reach the ball before he does.)
m/s
Alot of information...where to start?? I know it is a multiple step problem, but how to go about starting it has me puzzled.
Any help giving me a direction on how to tackle this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write the 2-D equations of motion for the ball, and the 1-D equation of motion for the tennis player.

I have tried what you suggested, but I am unsure as to what exactly imsolving for in each equation?? I need help with my given variables and my unknowns

Please show your work here, so that we can try to help you.

I came up with :
x0=0
x=?
v0x=16.5cos55
vx=
ax=0
t=?

y0=0
y=2.1
v0y=16.5sin55
vy=
ay=-9.8
t=?
I solved for time and then i solved for x...i came up with 13.5/2.2
which gives me an answer of 6.1 m/s...which is wrong
i subtacted the .3 and the 10 m before i divided them too...it comes out with the wrong answer...??

check ur calculations when i tried doing it i got 6.34m/s not 6.1m/s

Related to Tennis Lob question Very confusing

1. What is a tennis lob?

A tennis lob is a shot in tennis where the ball is hit high and deep into the opponent's court, usually over the opponent's head. It is used as a defensive or offensive strategy to either buy time or gain an advantageous position in the game.

2. How do you hit a tennis lob?

To hit a tennis lob, you need to stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your dominant hand on the bottom of the racket. As the ball approaches, step forward with the opposite foot and swing the racket upwards and over your head, making contact with the ball as it reaches its highest point.

3. When should I use a tennis lob?

A tennis lob can be used in a variety of situations, such as when your opponent is at the net, when you are out of position, or when your opponent has hit a deep shot. It is a useful strategy to change the pace of the game and throw off your opponent's rhythm.

4. What is the difference between a topspin lob and a backspin lob?

A topspin lob is hit with a forward and upward motion, causing the ball to spin forward and bounce higher, while a backspin lob is hit with a downward and backward motion, causing the ball to spin backward and bounce lower. The choice between the two depends on the situation and personal preference.

5. Are there any tips for improving my tennis lob?

To improve your tennis lob, it is important to practice regularly and focus on your footwork and timing. It can also be helpful to vary the speed and spin of your lobs to keep your opponent guessing. Additionally, watching and learning from professional tennis players can provide valuable insights and techniques for improving your lob.