Tension and Velocity: Physics Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension of a string with a weight attached to it and how it would increase if the string gains velocity. The tension would eventually become strong enough to cut the string. The question is then raised about whether the force of the velocity opposes the string and if someone can explain this with equations. The response is that the string will most likely snap and the speaker has watched videos but lacks the materials to test it in the real world. The conversation also touches on the path of the object when it is swinging and the concept of centripetal acceleration, ultimately concluding that the force going into the string and the force going out towards the book results in friction and centripetal acceleration, causing the string to snap.
TimeInquirer
Hello, I was recently reading a physics book and was told that, if a string were to hang down with a weight attached to it, its tension would be the mass times gravity. However, if it were to gain some velocity and move from left to right, the tension would increase enough so that the string would be cut. The book doesn't go into further detail. Does the force of the velocity oppose the string? Can someone please explain this to me, possibility showing equations to describe this motion? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The string will most likely snap. How come you do not do a real world test?

I have watched a few videos, and I lack the sufficient material to produce adequate results (a.k.a poor strings and lack of a weight). I understand that it does happen but not sure why.

What is the path of the object when it is swinging? What do you know about centripetal acceleration?

It's all about the force going into the string and force going out towards the book.
That will result a friction and centripetal acceleration that makes the string snap. ;)

FAQ: Tension and Velocity: Physics Explained

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object when it is pulled or stretched. It is a type of force that acts in a straight line and can either be an external force or an internal force.

2. How is tension related to velocity?

In physics, tension and velocity are related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it, and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as tension increases, the velocity of an object will also increase, and vice versa.

3. Can tension affect an object's motion?

Yes, tension can affect an object's motion. When an object is being pulled or stretched by a force, it will experience a tension force that can either accelerate or decelerate its motion, depending on the direction of the force and the object's mass.

4. How is tension measured in physics?

In physics, tension is typically measured in units of newtons (N), which is a unit of force. This can be measured using a spring scale or by calculating the force exerted by an object's weight or by an external force acting on it.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension and velocity?

Some real-life examples of tension and velocity include a person lifting a weight, a car accelerating on a ramp, and a spring being stretched by a force. In all of these examples, the tension force is acting on the object to either increase or decrease its velocity.