Tension During Swing of Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple pendulum and its properties, including tension, velocity, and angle. The true statements are that tension is greatest at the bottom of the swing, the vertical component of tension is not constant, and tension is smallest at +/- theta_0. The false statements are that tension equals Mg at some angle between zero and theta_0, and that tension is greater than Mg when theta = theta_0. The equation T = (mv^2)/r + mgcos(theta) is used to solve the problem.
x^2

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a simple pendulum consisting of a mass M suspended by a thin, massless string. The magnitude of the tension is T. The mass swings back and forth between +/- theta_0. Which of the following are true statements?

pendulum.gif

A. T is the largest at the bottom (theta = 0 deg).
B. T = Mg at some angle between zero and theta_0.
C. The vertical component of tension is constant.
D. T equals Mg when theta = theta_0
E. T is greater than Mg when theta = theta_0
F. T is smallest when theta = +/- theta_0

Homework Equations

T = (mv^2)/r + mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above equation, the tension should be greatest at the bottom of the swing (v reaches it's maximum) and a minimum at +/- theta_0 when v = 0. Therefore:

A. T is the largest at the bottom (theta = 0 deg).
True: This is where v reaches a maximum so the tension will be maximum.

B. T = Mg at some angle between zero and theta_0.
False: T = Mg only when (mv^2)/r = 0, which occurs at theta_0.

C. The vertical component of tension is constant.
True: The vertical component is Mg which remains constant.

D. T equals Mg when theta = theta_0
True: v = 0 so T = m0^2/r + Mg ==> T = Mg

E. T is greater than Mg when theta = theta_0
False: Can't be true if T = Mg from above statement

F. T is smallest when theta = +/- theta_0
True: There is no velocity at +/- theta_0, so this is where T must be a minimum.

I've tried the above answer set, also with C as false (I wasn't sure if maybe the vertical component related to more than just Mg), but both attempts were wrong. If my pendulum tension equation accurately describes the above scenario, I'm not sure where I went wrong in my reasoning.

Thanks,
x^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it using T = (mv^2)/r + mgcos(theta)

Just consider the velocity and angle at each point:
A: True. v will be the greatest and cos(theta) will be the greatest (1)
B: True. At theta_0 when the bob is released, v = 0 and cos(theta) < 1 so the tension will be less than Mg. At theta = 0, v will be at its max and cos(theta) = cos(0) = 1 so the tension will be greater than Mg. Somewhere between the tension will equal Mg.
C: False. The vertical component is greatest when theta = 0. It decreases as the bob swings to the left and right.
D: False. T = Mg somewhere between theta_0 and theta = 0.
E: False. T is less than Mg at theta_0.
F: True. At theta_0 T = mgcos(theta_0). As v = 0 at theta_0, mv^2/r ==> 0 at theta_0.

Hope this helps someone :D

Likes 1 person
What...?

I always thought

T = -mgcos(theta) (i.e. the radial component of the Weight force)

in a pendulum... not T = mgcos(theta) + mac.

pendulum3.gif

T and the radial component of the Weight force cancel out. The only force acting on the system is the tangential (real word?) component of the Weight force:

Fnet = -mgsin(theta)

Besides I don't think the pendulum experiences uniform circular motion (tangential velocity is not constant), in which case ac = v2/r does not apply. Unless ac = v2/r applies to any circular motion and not just uniform circular motion. If it does apply, then:

Fnet = mac
= mv2/r​
mv2/r = -mgsin(theta)

Last edited:
Hello?

Help?

FAQ: Tension During Swing of Pendulum

What is tension during the swing of a pendulum?

Tension during the swing of a pendulum is the force that is exerted on the pendulum's string or rod as it swings back and forth. This force is responsible for keeping the pendulum in motion and preventing it from falling off its pivot point.

What factors affect tension during the swing of a pendulum?

The two main factors that affect tension during the swing of a pendulum are the length of the pendulum and the angle at which it is released. The longer the pendulum, the greater the tension, and the higher the angle of release, the lower the tension.

How does tension change throughout the swing of a pendulum?

Tension is at its maximum at the top of the pendulum's swing, when it is furthest away from its pivot point. As the pendulum begins to swing back down, the tension decreases until it reaches its minimum at the bottom of the swing. The tension then increases again as the pendulum swings back up.

What is the relationship between tension and the speed of a pendulum?

Tension and speed have an inverse relationship in a pendulum. As tension increases, the speed of the pendulum decreases, and vice versa. This is due to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be converted from one form to another.

How does tension affect the period of a pendulum?

The period, or the time it takes for a pendulum to complete one swing, is directly affected by tension. The higher the tension, the shorter the period, and the lower the tension, the longer the period. This is because tension affects the pendulum's speed, which ultimately affects its period.

Back