Tension in a string simple pendulum

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a simple pendulum, where the greatest value for the tension in the string is being calculated. The tension is found using the relationship for centripetal force and its components, and then substituted into the equation for the velocity of the pendulum. The final answer obtained is 2.7N but appears to be 2.5N, and further clarification is requested regarding the assumptions made for calculating the tension. It is suggested to use conservation of energy to find the maximum velocity and tension at the lowest position of the pendulum.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Hi Guys
I obtained a slighty different answer. Can anyone kindly verify where I am going wrong? The question is stated thus:
A simple pendulum is of length 0.5m and the bob has mass 0.25kg. Find the greatest value for the tension in the string when the pendulum is set in oscillation by drawing the bob to one side through an angle of 5 degrees and releasing from rest. Explain where in the cycle the tension is greatest.

Te relationship for centripetal force involved is
T-mg = mv^2/r
Resolving the tension in the string into its components,
Tcos theta = mg
Tsin theta =mv^2/r
Dividing the above, we obtain
tan theta =v^2/gr
So, v^2 = gr tan theta
I substituted this value and other values for mass and g. I obtained 2.7N as my final answer. But it appears to be 2.5N. Any clarification will be appreciated. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:
Te relationship for centripetal force involved is
T-mg = mv^2/r
Resolving the tension in the string into its components,
Tcos theta = mg
Tsin theta =mv^2/r
Dividing the above, we obtain
tan theta =v^2/gr
So, v^2 = gr tan theta
I substituted this value and other values for mass and g. I obtained 2.7N as my final answer. But it appears to be 2.5N. Any clarification will be appreciated. Thanks.

When you say Tsin theta =mv^2/r, do you mean to imply that the horizontal component of tension is the centripital force?

Villyer said:
When you say Tsin theta =mv^2/r, do you mean to imply that the horizontal component of tension is the centripital force?

Yes. That is my assumption. I have a feeling it may not be valid. Is tension equal to the weight at the point of rest?

Your are calculating the tension T at its highest position.
Maximum tension is at its lowest position.
At this position, the PE at the top is converted to maximum kinetic energy.
Find this velocity from conservation of energy.

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your solution with us. I believe that your answer of 2.7N is correct. I also solved the problem using the same approach and obtained the same answer. The greatest tension in the string occurs at the bottom of the pendulum's swing, when the velocity is at its maximum and the angle is 0 degrees. At this point, the tension in the string is equal to the weight of the bob (mg) plus the centripetal force (mv^2/r). As you correctly stated, this can be expressed as T = mg + mv^2/r. By substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

T = (0.25kg)(9.8m/s^2) + (0.25kg)(v^2)/(0.5m)

Since we are looking for the greatest tension, we can assume that the velocity is at its maximum. This occurs at the bottom of the swing, when the angle is 0 degrees. Therefore, v^2 = grtan(0) = 0. Plugging this into our equation, we get:

T = (0.25kg)(9.8m/s^2) + (0.25kg)(0)/(0.5m)
T = 2.45N + 0N = 2.45N

So, the greatest tension in the string is indeed 2.45N. It seems like you have made a small calculation error, possibly in the substitution of values. I would recommend double checking your calculations to see where the discrepancy lies. Overall, your approach and methodology were correct. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Tension in a string simple pendulum

What is a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum is a weight attached to a string or rod that is suspended from a fixed point. The weight, or pendulum bob, is free to swing back and forth under the force of gravity.

What is tension in a string simple pendulum?

Tension in a string simple pendulum refers to the force that the string exerts on the pendulum bob to keep it in motion. This tension force is directed towards the fixed point of suspension.

How does the length of the string affect tension in a string simple pendulum?

The length of the string has a direct effect on the tension in a string simple pendulum. The longer the string, the greater the tension force required to keep the pendulum in motion. This is because a longer string means a longer distance for the pendulum bob to travel, requiring a greater force to overcome gravity.

What factors affect the period of a tension in a string simple pendulum?

The period, or time it takes for one complete swing of a pendulum, is affected by three main factors: the length of the string, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the force of gravity. The longer the string and the larger the mass, the longer the period will be. The force of gravity also plays a role, with a stronger gravitational force resulting in a shorter period.

How is tension in a string simple pendulum calculated?

The tension in a string simple pendulum can be calculated using the equation T = mgcosθ, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the pendulum bob, g is the force of gravity, and θ is the angle at which the pendulum is hanging. This equation assumes that the string is massless and the pendulum bob is a point mass.