Tension in of string between two boxes with friction.

In summary, the problem involves two boxes connected by a massless string, with the first box at 16kg and the second box at 21kg. A total force of 185N is applied to the first box, which has a coefficient of friction of 0.5. The task is to calculate the tension in the string between the two boxes. Using the equations Ffr=μFn and Fnet=ma, the solution involves considering the acceleration of the entire system, including friction. The final calculation involves taking into account the force of friction on the second box and solving for the tension in the string. The resulting tension is 105N, which is significantly higher than the originally calculated 2.1N or 80
psychochef

Homework Statement

Two boxes are connected by a massless string. The first box's mass is 16kg and second box's mass is 21kg. You pull with a total force of 185N on the 16kg box. The coefficient of friction is 0.5. Calculate the tension in the string between the two boxes.

Homework Equations

Ffr=μFn
Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Thinking of the acceleration of the whole system (including friction)

Fnet = Fa - Ffr = ma
divide by m to get the acceleration of the whole system.

a = (Fa - Ffr)/m

m = 16+21 = 37kg

Fa = 185N

Ffr = μFn = μmg =(0.5)(37)(9.8)

a = [185-(0.5)(37)(9.8)]/37 = 0.1m/s2

Using this we should be able to calculate the Fnet of the 21kg box on the end of the string.

Fnet=ma = (21)(0.1) = 2.1N

Is the Fnet of the 21kg box equal to the tension of the string? I can't seem to get my head around this part. For me it doesn't make sense that even though I'm pulling on the whole system at 185N, only 2.1N is the tension in the string pulling on the 21kg box. Should I have taken the force of friction into account in calculating the Fnet of the 21kg box? Should I be adding or subtracting 185N from something?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi psychochef! welcome to pf! :smile:
psychochef said:
Should I have taken the force of friction into account in calculating the Fnet of the 21kg box?

yes
Is the Fnet of the 21kg box equal to the tension of the string? I can't seem to get my head around this part. For me it doesn't make sense that even though I'm pulling on the whole system at 185N, only 2.1N is the tension in the string pulling on the 21kg box.

if the tension in the string was the same as the force with which you're pulling the front box, then (even without friction) the front box wouldn't move, would it? :wink:

Awesome! It's good to know that I'm on the right track. So assuming I need to consider the force of Friction on the 2nd box (21kg), here's the calculations I get.

Fnet = Fa-Ffr-T = ma
solve for T:

T= Fa-Ffr-ma

Now should I use 185N as my Fa? I know that on the first box the applied force is the 185N pull, so knowing that the massless string should conserve that force should I put 185N as my applied force?

If so, here's what I get:

185-μFn-21(0.1)=T

185-(0.5)(21)(9.8)-(21)(0.1)= 80N

Does that look about right?
Thanks!

hi psychochef! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
psychochef said:
Awesome! It's good to know that I'm on the right track. So assuming I need to consider the force of Friction on the 2nd box (21kg), here's the calculations I get.

Fnet = Fa-Ffr-T = ma

no, this is wrong

draw a free body diagram for the second box …

there are only two horizontal forces on it: tension and friction

(the applied force is only applied to the first box … the question says so … it has nothing to do with the second box)

try again :smile:

I got it!

T-Ffr = ma

I solved for T, got 105N, that seems much better than 2.1 or 80N.
Thanks a bunch!

Related to Tension in of string between two boxes with friction.

1. What causes tension in a string between two boxes with friction?

The tension in the string is caused by the pulling force exerted on the string by the two boxes. This pulling force creates a tension force that acts in the direction of the string, keeping it taut and preventing the boxes from moving apart.

2. How does friction affect the tension in the string?

Friction between the string and the boxes can reduce the tension force by creating an opposing force that acts in the opposite direction. This can cause the string to stretch and become less taut, leading to a decrease in tension.

3. Can the tension in the string be greater than the pulling force?

Yes, the tension force in the string can be greater than the pulling force exerted by the boxes. This is because the tension force is the sum of all the forces acting on the string, including the pulling force and any opposing frictional forces.

4. How does the distance between the boxes affect the tension in the string?

The tension in the string increases as the distance between the boxes increases. This is because the pulling force is spread out over a longer length of string, leading to a greater tension force along the entire length of the string.

5. Is the tension in the string constant?

No, the tension in the string can vary depending on the forces acting on it. If the pulling force or frictional forces change, the tension force in the string will also change. Additionally, if the string stretches or breaks, the tension force will also be affected.