Tension of an Object Swinging in a Circle

In summary, the "swing" ride at a carnival has chairs that are swung in a circle with a 10 m radius, attached to a vertical rotating pole with a 56.5 degree angle. The total mass of a chair and its occupant is 210 kg. The speed of the chair can be found using the equation tan 0 = m x v squared/gr, resulting in a correct value of 12.175 m/s. However, determining the tension in the cable attached to the chair requires considering the components of the cable tension and drawing a free body diagram. Simply plugging the velocity into the equation Fc= m x v squared/r will only give the centripetal force, not the tension in the cable.
wallace13
A "swing" ride at a carnival consists of chairs that are swung in a circle with a 10 m radius. It is attached to a vertical rotating pole with a 56.5 degree angle between the pole and chain of a swing. Suppose the total mass of a chair and its occupant is 210 kg.

(a) Determine the speed of the chair.
I found the speed of the chair by using the equation tan 0 = m x v squared/gr
I got 12.175m/s and it is correct.

(b) Determine the tension in the cable attached to the chair.
I plugged the velocity that I found into the equation Fc= m x v squared/r
I got 3112 N, which is incorrect

tan 0= m x v squared/gr
Ac= v squared/r
Tc= mxac

Physics news on Phys.org
wallace13 said:
(b) Determine the tension in the cable attached to the chair.
I plugged the velocity that I found into the equation Fc= m x v squared/r
That will give you the centripetal force, not the tension in the cable. Hint: Consider the components of the cable tension. (You would be wise to draw a free body diagram illustrating the forces acting on the chair.)

= mv squared/gr

In order to determine the tension in the cable, we need to calculate the centripetal acceleration (Ac) of the chair. This can be done by using the equation Ac = v^2/r, where v is the velocity and r is the radius of the circle.

Plugging in the values, we get Ac = (12.175 m/s)^2 / 10 m = 14.84 m/s^2.

Now, we can use this value of acceleration to calculate the tension in the cable using the equation Tc = m x Ac, where m is the mass of the chair and occupant.

Tc = (210 kg) x (14.84 m/s^2) = 3116.4 N.

Therefore, the tension in the cable attached to the chair is approximately 3116.4 N. It is important to note that this is the minimum tension required to keep the chair and occupant moving in a circular motion. Any lower tension would result in the chair and occupant flying off the ride.

Related to Tension of an Object Swinging in a Circle

What is the tension of an object swinging in a circle?

The tension of an object swinging in a circle is the force that is pulling the object towards the center of the circle. It is always directed towards the center and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

How is the tension of an object swinging in a circle calculated?

The tension of an object swinging in a circle can be calculated using the centripetal force formula: T = (m * v^2)/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

Does the tension change as the object swings in a circle?

Yes, the tension changes as the object swings in a circle. As the object moves faster or slower, the tension will also change accordingly. Additionally, if the radius of the circle changes, the tension will also change.

What factors affect the tension of an object swinging in a circle?

The tension of an object swinging in a circle is affected by the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circle. The tension will increase with a heavier mass, higher velocity, and smaller radius.

How does the tension of an object swinging in a circle relate to its speed?

The tension of an object swinging in a circle is directly related to its speed. As the speed increases, the tension will also increase. This is because a higher speed requires a greater force to keep the object moving in a circular path.