Tension on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, a 100 N force applied to a massive steel cable causes a 20 kg block to reach a speed of 4.0 m/s in a distance of 2.0 m on a horizontal, frictionless surface. To find the acceleration, one can use the equation v_x^2 = v_0x^2 + 2a_x(x-x_0) and draw separate force diagrams for the cable and the block. The tension force in the cable is equal to the tension force in the block, and the force of gravity does not contribute to the acceleration.
JeYo
A massive steel cable drags a 20 kg block across a horizontal, frictionless surface. A 100 N force applied to the cable causes the block to reach a speed of 4.0 m/s in a distance of 2.0 m.

What is the mass of the cable?

I hate to ask you folks for a lot of help. But I have no idea of how to solve this problem, or of how to approach this problem. If anyone could I would love a little push in the right direction but I definitely am not asking for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v_{x}^{2}=v_{0x}^{2}+2a_{x}(x-x_{0})[/tex]

solve for acceleration

draw two your force diagrams

[tex]\Sigma{F}=ma[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, I was thinking about it by looking at the net forces of the rope and the block separately.

For the rope, there is a 100 N force rightward and a T force leftward. The addition of these forces equals ma.

Looking at the block, there is a tension force rightward which should equal the rope's tension force leftward. You can find that tension because you have the mass of the block and can find its acceleration. You can probably take it from there.

Does that make sense to you?

I realize that the acceleration is 4.0m/s/s; however, I wonder if there are more than two forces acting on the cable. I mean, there is the F(b on c) and the F(G).

The force of gravity does not contribute to the acceleration.

Thank you all very much, you were all very helpful.

FAQ: Tension on a Frictionless Surface

1. What is tension on a frictionless surface?

Tension on a frictionless surface refers to the force exerted on an object as a result of pulling or stretching it to create tension. This force is applied parallel to the surface and does not cause any friction.

2. How is tension calculated on a frictionless surface?

Tension on a frictionless surface can be calculated using the formula T = μmg, where T is the tension, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the difference between tension on a frictionless surface and tension on a rough surface?

The main difference is that on a rough surface, tension is affected by the friction between the object and the surface. This means that the tension will be lower on a rough surface compared to a frictionless surface.

4. How does tension on a frictionless surface affect the motion of an object?

Tension on a frictionless surface does not directly affect the motion of an object since there is no friction. However, it can indirectly affect the motion by changing the direction and speed of the object when it is pulled in a certain direction.

5. Can tension on a frictionless surface be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, it is possible for tension on a frictionless surface to be greater than the weight of an object. This can happen when an external force is applied to the object, causing an increase in tension. However, the tension cannot exceed the maximum possible value determined by the coefficient of friction and the weight of the object.