Tensor algebra and the Projection Tensor

In summary, we use the projection equation v^{i}=u^{i}u_{j}v^{j} to find the parallel component v^{i}_{para} of a vector v^{i} with respect to a given 4-velocity u^{i}. We then use the normalization condition g_{ij}u^{i}u^{j}=1 to simplify the equation, and finally, we use the projection operator h^{i}_{j} to find the perpendicular component v^{i}_{perp}.I hope this helps you understand the working for this problem. Good luck
Onamor

Homework Statement

(firstly, Apologies for having to use a picture..)

If [tex]u^{i}[/tex] is the 4-velocity of a point on a manifold, then we use affine parameterisation [tex]g_{ij}u^{i}u^{j}=1[/tex].
The attached picture shows our rest frame, ie [tex]x^{0}=const[/tex] and a point ("us") on this surface. If our velocity is [tex]u^{i}[/tex] we want to describe the projection of another vector [tex]v^{i}[/tex] on to our velocity, [tex]u^{i}[/tex].

We define [tex]v^{i}=v^{i}_{para}+v^{i}_{perp}[/tex] the parallel and perpendicular components.

Homework Equations

(Mainly just algebra of tensors which I don't understand)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a situation from my notes, so I have the answer but i don't understand the working...

[tex]v^{i}=u^{i}u_{j}v^{j}[/tex] (I already don't understand this line - why is this so? Isn't the contraction [tex]u_{j}v^{j}[/tex] on the RHS already a scalar product and hence a projection?)
gives [tex]v^{j}u_{j}=g_{jk}u^{k}v^{j}[/tex] (i think using [tex]g_{ij}u^{i}u^{j}=1[/tex]?)
Now we write [tex]v^{i}_{para}=h^{i}_{j}v^{j}[/tex] where we define the projection [tex]h^{i}_{j}=\delta^{i}_{j}-u^{i}u_{j}[/tex].

Could someone run me through this working please? There is scarecly a line where I can see where it came from... And perhaps then, if i understand it, I could find [tex]v^{i}_{perp}[/tex].

Thank you very very much to any helpers.

Attachments

• q4.jpg
    q4.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Let me try to help you understand the working for this problem.

Firstly, let's start with the definition of the parallel and perpendicular components of a vector v^{i} with respect to a given 4-velocity u^{i}. This is given by v^{i}=v^{i}_{para}+v^{i}_{perp}, where v^{i}_{para} is the component of v^{i} that lies parallel to u^{i}, and v^{i}_{perp} is the component that is perpendicular to u^{i}.

Now, let's consider the expression v^{i}=u^{i}u_{j}v^{j}. This equation is known as the projection equation. It can be understood as follows: The 4-velocity u^{i} represents the direction in which we are projecting the vector v^{i}. The contraction u_{j}v^{j} on the right-hand side (RHS) of the equation represents the scalar projection of v^{i} onto u^{i}. This means that the RHS gives us the component of v^{i} that lies in the direction of u^{i}. Multiplying this by u^{i} gives us the vector v^{i}_{para} that is parallel to u^{i}.

Next, we use the fact that g_{ij}u^{i}u^{j}=1 to simplify the RHS of the projection equation. This is a normalization condition for the 4-velocity u^{i}. Multiplying both sides of the projection equation by g_{jk}u^{k} gives us v^{j}u_{j}=g_{jk}u^{k}v^{j}. This is just a rearrangement of terms.

Finally, we can write v^{i}_{para} in terms of the projection operator h^{i}_{j}. This operator is defined as h^{i}_{j}=\delta^{i}_{j}-u^{i}u_{j}, where \delta^{i}_{j} is the Kronecker delta symbol (which is equal to 1 if i=j and 0 otherwise). This operator essentially removes the component of u^{i} from v^{i}, leaving us with only the perpendicular component v^{i}_{perp}. Therefore, we can write v^{i}_{para}=h^{i}_{j}v^{j}, and hence, v^{

Related to Tensor algebra and the Projection Tensor

1. What is tensor algebra and why is it important in science?

Tensor algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the algebraic operations and properties of tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers used to represent physical quantities. It is important in science because many physical phenomena can be described and analyzed using tensors, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and general relativity.

2. What is the Projection Tensor and how is it used in tensor algebra?

The Projection Tensor, also known as the Kronecker delta, is a tensor that has a value of 1 when its indices are equal and 0 when they are not. It is used in tensor algebra to project one tensor onto another by contracting the indices of the two tensors. This operation is useful in simplifying and solving complex tensor equations.

3. Can you provide an example of how the Projection Tensor is used in real-world applications?

One example of the Projection Tensor in action is in computer graphics, where it is used to project a three-dimensional image onto a two-dimensional screen. By contracting the indices of the projection tensor with the coordinates of the 3D image, the resulting 2D image is obtained.

4. How does tensor algebra relate to linear algebra?

Tensor algebra is an extension of linear algebra, which deals with vectors and matrices. Tensors can be thought of as multi-dimensional matrices, and many of the operations and concepts in linear algebra, such as addition, multiplication, and eigenvalues, have counterparts in tensor algebra.

5. Is there a specific notation or convention used in tensor algebra?

Yes, there are several notations and conventions used in tensor algebra, depending on the field of study. One common notation is the Einstein summation convention, where repeated indices in a tensor equation are implicitly summed over. Another convention is the index notation, where indices are written as superscripts and subscripts to denote their positions in a tensor. These notations help to simplify and streamline the representation and manipulation of tensors.

Back