Tensor Calculus (Einstein notation)

In summary: So, in summary, Einstein notation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. To sum over indices, you must explicitly use the summation symbol and the universal quantifier. The sum over indices can then be written as:$$\sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$
paperplane
TL;DR Summary
How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?
Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein notation for summation is meant to be done for the same term, here you have two terms. There is no implicit summation in ##\partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##.

Let's call it ##G_{\mu \nu}## i.e. ##G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu##. We have
## G_{00} = \partial_0 F_0 - \partial_0 F_0 = 0##
## G_{10} = \partial_1 F_0 - \partial_0 F_1 = - G_{01}##
## G_{11} = \partial_1 F_1 - \partial_1 F_1 = 0 = G_{22} = G_{33}##
## G_{23} = \partial_2 F_3 - \partial_3 F_2 = - G_{32}##
and so on.

Now, lets assume I contract ##G_{\mu \nu}## with ##\phi^\mu##, we have due to Einstein summation convention
##\phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu} = \phi^0G_{0 \nu} + \phi^1G_{1\nu} + \phi^2G_{2 \nu} + \phi^3G_{3 \nu}##

Let's define ##\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}##.
We have
##\psi_0 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 0} = \phi^0G_{0 0} + \phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} =\phi^1G_{10} + \phi^2G_{20} + \phi^3G_{30} ##
##\psi_1 = \phi^\mu G_{\mu 1} = \phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^1G_{11} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31} =\phi^0G_{0 1} + \phi^2G_{21} + \phi^3G_{31}##
and so on

Likes nasu, topsquark and PeroK
Ah I understand now, thank you!

paperplane said:
Ah I understand now, thank you!
I updated my reply above with some more examples.

Likes topsquark and paperplane
paperplane said:
TL;DR Summary: How to sum over indices when they aren't being contracted?

Hello,

I realize this might sound dumb, but I'm having such a hard time understanding Einstein notation. For something like ∂uFv - ∂vFu, why is this not necessarily 0 for tensor Fu? Since all these indices are running through the same values 0,1,2,3?
Einstein notation omits two standard elements of mathematical notation: the summation symbol (##\sum##) and the universal quantifier (##\forall##). In the above examples we have:
$$G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \mu, \nu: G_{\mu \nu} = \partial_\mu F_\nu - \partial_\nu F_\mu$$Note that this is actually ##16## equations! (One for every combination of ##\mu = 0, 1,2,3## and ##\nu = 0, 1,2,3##.) And:
$$\psi_\nu = \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$In full notation this would be:
$$\forall \nu: \psi_\nu = \sum_{\mu = 0}^{3} \phi^\mu G_{\mu \nu}$$And that is four equations.

Likes malawi_glenn and Ibix

Related to Tensor Calculus (Einstein notation)

What is Einstein notation in tensor calculus?

Einstein notation, also known as the Einstein summation convention, is a notational convention used in tensor calculus where repeated indices imply summation. For example, in Einstein notation, the expression \( a_i b^i \) implies a sum over the index \( i \). This simplifies many tensor expressions by eliminating the need for explicit summation symbols.

How does tensor calculus differ from vector calculus?

Tensor calculus extends the concepts of vector calculus to more complex objects called tensors, which can have more than one index. While vector calculus deals with vectors (rank-1 tensors) and scalars (rank-0 tensors), tensor calculus deals with higher-rank tensors that can represent more complex relationships and transformations, especially in the context of multidimensional spaces and general relativity.

What is the significance of the Kronecker delta in tensor calculus?

The Kronecker delta, denoted as \( \delta^i_j \), is a function of two variables (indices) that is 1 if the indices are equal and 0 otherwise. It acts as the identity tensor in tensor calculus, playing a crucial role in simplifying expressions and performing index manipulations. For example, \( A^i \delta_i^j = A^j \), effectively renaming the index.

How do you raise and lower indices in tensor calculus?

Indices in tensor calculus can be raised and lowered using the metric tensor. If \( g_{ij} \) is the metric tensor, then a covariant vector \( A_i \) can be converted to a contravariant vector \( A^i \) using the inverse of the metric tensor \( g^{ij} \): \( A^i = g^{ij} A_j \). Conversely, a contravariant vector \( A^i \) can be lowered to a covariant vector \( A_i \) using the metric tensor: \( A_i = g_{ij} A^j \).

What are the applications of tensor calculus in physics?

Tensor calculus is fundamental in many areas of physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity, where it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational field. It is also used in continuum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics, where it helps to formulate physical laws in a coordinate-independent manner, making the equations valid in any frame of reference.